Clarity

• 1.  Reason for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 22, 2016 10:47 AM

Hello,

What is the best practice for making a project inactive? Should completed or cancelled project should be made inactive?

Also should the allocation and ETC be made zero before a project made inactive?

Thanks,

Ma

• 2.  Re: Best practice for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 22, 2016 01:55 PM

1. Make sure that there are no pending transactions

2. Financially close the project

3. ETC should be zero

4. Close the project for time tracking

5. Deactivate the project

Regards

NJ

• 3.  Re: Best practice for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 22, 2016 02:28 PM

Thanks NJ. My question is more on when would you make a Project inactive?

• 4.  Re: Reason for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 23, 2016 04:57 AM

I think of making a project "inactive" as being a logical delete from the system - you no longer ever want to see that information. I tend to think that if you are ever interested in historical MI in the system, the you should not be making projects inactive, just end-dating them.

(and I believe that the application behaves like that too, in that making the project inactive causes none of the project's data to be considered anywhere else in the system - i.e. you don't have to close down allocations, ETCs and so on. From a functional point of view though, you might want to)

"Inactive" is a much more drastic thing than I think most people consider it to be.

• 5.  Re: Reason for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 28, 2016 06:54 PM

Hi ma12 - Did any of the responses help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!

• 6.  Re: Reason for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 23, 2016 08:49 AM

I agree with Dave. making a project inactive is just shy of deleting it from my perspective.  It is up to your own organization to decide if projects are to be made inactive or not, and when to make them inactive. This could depend on your corporate policies and govt regulations. At least if they are inactive, you can always reactivate them. Regardless, NJ's post above is still valid and make sure allocations are cleaned up as well.

1. Make sure that there are no pending transactions

2. Financially close the project

3. ETC should be zero

4. Close the project for time tracking

5. Deactivate the project

• 7.  Re: Reason for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 29, 2016 01:46 PM

In those cases I usually also end-date allocations.

• 8.  Re: Reason for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 29, 2016 03:06 PM

That too!

• 9.  Re: Reason for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 29, 2016 04:04 PM

In my opinion any project which is not being actively worked on should be Inactivated. You can always go back and activate it again.

The advantage of this is that it will better the system performance as many jobs will process and update Active Projects. Also it will remove the clutter from the project lists to show truely the projects which are being worked on.  

Having said that , there are lookups like Project Browse will only show Active Projects. There are some ootb portlets which will be defaulted to show only active projects which you have to switch to see inactive projects.

You may want to do this in Non-Prod env and validate that all the portlets and integrations are working as expected. Also you will have to communicate this to the end users before doing this in PROD.

• 10.  Re: Reason for making a project inactive

Posted Jun 30, 2016 12:25 PM

Thank you NJ, Dave, Urmas,Michael and Atul for your insights.

I was split between the same that is mentioned here. Make a project inactive when it is not worked on (like completed, on hold or Cancelled) or the projects that was created by mistake and needs to be deleted from the system.

I have better information to advice business. Thank you all for your help.

Regards,

Manjusha