CA Service Management

• 1.  Incident Problem mapping

Posted Jun 27, 2016 07:48 AM

Hi Team,

I have observed that the detail_pr page has a tab "Parent/child" which has another tab "Attached Incidents" which displays all the incidents attached on that problem ticket. So I need to understand below things:

1. Can I have a similar tab for "Attached Requests" in the detail_pr page?

2. Can I have a similar tab for "Attached Problem" in the detail_in page & detail_cr page?(mapping of Problem to Incident)

If yes kindly let me know how to achieve the same.

Also, is it as per the ITIL standards?

• 2.  Re: Incident Problem mapping

Posted Jun 27, 2016 12:40 PM

Your scenario is not per the ITIL framework. In ITIL parlance:

A Request is a request for service (e.g. I need an email account or a mobile phone). Requests have nothing to do with Problems.

An Incident is an unplanned outage or degradation in a service (e.g. A web page is not loading or an application transaction which normally takes 2 seconds now takes 45 seconds to complete). The goal of Incident Management is to restore the service back to operation (or as close to operational parameters as possible) as quickly as possible. If the restoration is achieved quickly by simply restarting a service or device then, in may cases, that is all you do (other than documenting the Incident and resolution).

Problems are raised following a major Incident or repeating Incidents impacting the same service. The goal of Problem Management is to do a deep dive analysis of the Incident(s), determine the root cause(s), and make recommendations to management regarding how this could be addressed in the future. The report to management should include an estimate of the cost of the Incident(s) and the costs of each possible solution in the recommendations.

So a Problem may have many related Incidents but an Incident would be (typically) related to a single Problem. Service Desk is built with that in mind.

• 3.  Re: Incident Problem mapping

Posted Jun 27, 2016 01:24 PM

Thanks for the details Lindsay, but is there any possibility to include a tab on the detail_in page which can display that, "this incident has been attached to this problem ticket" ?

• 4.  Re: Incident Problem mapping
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 27, 2016 01:49 PM

Hi Johnny,

There is a field on the out-of-the-box incident screen for you to link the problem ticket to the incident -- either automatically when you click the 'Create Problem' button from the incident screen, or if a problem ticket has already been created you can type that problem ticket number in this field (or use the link above it to search for it) to link them together.  See below screen print.

Tammy

• 5.  Re: Incident Problem mapping

Posted Jul 18, 2016 03:42 AM

Hi Please let me know if we can show the same in the request page as well?

• 6.  Re: Incident Problem mapping

Posted Jun 27, 2016 01:57 PM

Here is the line in the detail_in.htmpl file for linking/showing problem ticket:

<PDM_MACRO name=dtlLookup hdr="Problem" attr=problem factory=pr>

• 7.  Re: Incident Problem mapping

Posted Jun 28, 2016 01:53 AM

Thanks Tammy & Lindsay, I'll check the same and get back.

• 8.  Re: Incident Problem mapping

Posted Jun 30, 2016 07:34 PM

Hi Johnny_2302  - Did any of the response help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!