SOLVE

• 1.  Implementing z/OS Automation using SolveOps?

Posted Jun 28, 2016 12:58 PM

I'm looking for a white paper, presentation, or other documentation on how to implement a automated operations environment on z/OS.  We have Solve:OPS but have not used it for anything other than messages. Now is the time for the next level to fully exploit it.

Looking for best practices, experience, etc.

• 2.  Re: Implementing z/OS Automation using SolveOps?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 29, 2016 09:18 AM

Hello LBDyck,

when you plan to use SOLVE:Operations then please have a look at the "SOLVE:Operations Automation Installation Guide Release 11.9". Chapter 10 gives useful informations how to discover System Resources for the Automation.

Another good source is the "SOLVE:Operations Automation Best Practices Guide Release 11.9" where you find Best Practices for Automation and Monitoring in Chapters 3 and 4.

If necessary, these manuals are available for download in support.ca.com.

Thank you and Regards,

Alexander

• 3.  Re: Implementing z/OS Automation using SolveOps?

Posted Jun 29, 2016 09:37 AM

Great info.  Is there a presentation or white paper on how to do it from scratch?  Are there free consulting to assist?

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Implementing z/OS Automation using SolveOps?

Posted Jun 30, 2016 03:35 AM

Hello LBDyck,

as far as I know there is no presentation available. The two docuemnts I mentioned are the best to start with as they contain all necessary information.
    If you need Consultants you may contact CA Services - but this is not free of charge.
    If you discover problems/error during the installation you can open a case via support.ca.com and CA Support will be happy to help you.
    One of the first things is to create a System Image containing all the resources you want to manage. That can be done using Express Setup (in Menu /RADMIN.AD.E or =A.R.AD.E from any panel). Here you can start the Discivery Process with PF6. The discovered resources are placed in a newly created System Image. You can directly use this new System Image as the active one. You can influence the amount of discovered Resources by updating a copy of the Control Member. The default value for this member is $RMEXPR1 and is located in 'hlq.CC2DEXEC'.

Best Regards,
    Alexander

• 5.  Re: Implementing z/OS Automation using SolveOps?

Posted Jun 30, 2016 07:27 AM

Thank you

• 6.  Re: Implementing z/OS Automation using SolveOps?

Posted Jun 30, 2016 08:52 AM

Hello LBDyck,

I'm the Product Owner for SOLVE: OPS.   Can you please email me directly as I would like to connect you with my Product Manager.   My email is Jennifer.Hall@ca.com

Thanks,

Jennifer