Release Automation

• 1.  Migrate to Nexus installed from Sonatype

Posted Jul 05, 2016 04:59 PM

We are currently running CA RA 5.5 using the version of Nexus that comes bundled with the product.  It is installed on it's own server.  I am interested in moving to the newest version of Nexus from Sonatype, but can't figure out if there's a way to get the repository from the one we're using into the new one.   I tried running the Nexus install as an upgrade, but it fails to see the CA-installed version as something it can upgrade.  Does anyone know if it's possible to move or copy the current repository to the new Nexus install?

• 2.  Re: Migrate to Nexus installed from Sonatype

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2016 04:06 AM

Hi,

The following configuration file holds the details that RA uses to connect to the internal repository .  "C:\Program Files\CA\ReleaseAutomationServer\conf\nolio-repo.properties" . Can i ask why you are looking to upgrade the nexus repository?

The following document was created to show how Nexus can be replaced by artifactory CA-Release-Automation-Artifactory-HA-Best-PracticesV2.5  . On page 21 you will find the details on how to configure RA to connect to a separate repository.

Regards

Keith

• 3.  Re: Migrate to Nexus installed from Sonatype

Posted Jul 06, 2016 09:28 AM

I am looking at this because I am considering the staging feature of Nexus Pro - the ability to better track which artifacts are ready for production and which ones did not make the cut.  Now it may be that CDE does some of this, but I'm not sure.  It's really just exploratory at this time. 

So - I understand how to make CA RA point to an external repo, but what I'm hoping to find out is whether I can take my existing nolio repo and get it into a new instance of Nexus 3.  The docs I have seen imply I can simply copy the sonatype-work folder and re-index the repos, but since they seem to have different folder structures, I'm not certain that will work.  I will likely try it out to see what happens. 

• 4.  Re: Migrate to Nexus installed from Sonatype

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2016 05:00 AM

Hi Tim ,

Did this answer ,answered your question? If it did please mark it as answered"

If the question is still unanswered or the answer is unclear please let us know .

With Kind regards

Dirk

• 5.  Re: Migrate to Nexus installed from Sonatype

Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:21 AM

I never did figure this out, so I moved on to other things. 

The answer shows how to connect RA to a separate Nexus instance - thats the easy part.  WhatI was trying to accomplish was to migrate my existing Nexus content into a new instance. 

• 6.  Re: Migrate to Nexus installed from Sonatype

Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:29 AM

Hi Tim,

To my knowledge, there is no automated or easy method of accomplishing migration of content/artifacts from one nexus to another, this has always had to be done manually from my experience -- I will check/verify whether or not there is some new or alternative method that could possibly make this easier at this point in time though.

Jeremy

• 7.  Re: Migrate to Nexus installed from Sonatype

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 11:40 AM

Tim,

Migrating to a user installed Nexus 3.0 instance is not presently supported. Nexus 3.0 support is in the development plans.

Let me know, if you have any additional questions about this.

Thanks

-Walter

• 8.  Re: Migrate to Nexus installed from Sonatype
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2016 04:11 AM

Hi Tim,

As Walter mentioned Nexus 3.0 is currently not supported with RA , i would advice to submit a Idea for that on the

communities so the product team can consider this for certifying .

I found some docs about the migration options which may answer your questions .

http://www.sonatype.org/nexus/2016/05/11/migrating-to-nexus-repository-3-easy-peasy/

If this answered your question  please mark the right one,  as the right answer. When your question is not answered or you still have additional questions please let us know.

With Kind Regards

Dirk

• 9.  Re: Migrate to Nexus installed from Sonatype

Posted Sep 12, 2016 09:25 AM

This looks like it will work. I have not yet tried it, but the process seems reasonable, so I marked this correct.  Thanks!!