Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Legacy User

Legacy UserJul 25, 2016 10:12 AM

Legacy User

Legacy UserOct 20, 2016 07:46 AM

• 1.  Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Jul 12, 2016 06:27 AM

Hello All,

We would like to exclude  PE routers from fault isolation/alarm correlation.

Device A : PE router

Device B1,B2: CPE router

In current setup:

1. If device A is unreachable (and @therefore also B1 and B2 aren’t reachable): alarm will be only generated on Device A
    2. If device A is reachable but B1 is unreachable (and therefore also B2 isn’t reachable): alarm will be only generated on Device B1
    3. If device A and B1 is reachable but B2 is unreachable: alarm will be only generated on Device B2

In desired setup:

1. 1 If device A is unreachable (and therefore also B1 and B2 aren’t reachable): alarm will need to be generated on Device A + B1
    2. If device A is reachable but B1 is unreachable (and therefore also B2 isn’t reachable): alarm will be only generated on Device B1

.   If device A and B1 is reachable but B2 is unreachable: alarm will be only generated on Device B2

We have tried steps in the link  https://communities.ca.com/message/97407369#comment-97407369

i.e EnableSuppressedAlarms method but it didn't seem to work in this case. Also disabling entire fault isolation logic on a particular landscape is also not logical.

Please help us with steps/solution for the mentioned requirement. Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Jul 12, 2016 07:41 AM

Have you tried using the CPE as resources in services? You'll get alarms on the service, even if the device is in the suppressed state. Use a service policy with condition.

• 3.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2016 08:05 AM
      |   view attached

Another thought might be to not have a modeled connection in Spectrum between the devices. Spectrum will see them as their own and will generate alarms on each when they go down…

• 4.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Jul 12, 2016 08:08 AM

That eludes fault isolation altogether, without disabling it at SpectroSERVER level.

• 5.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Jul 12, 2016 09:08 AM

Hi Jason,

Regarding the second thought I think it won't be approved for current environment.

• 6.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2016 09:15 AM
      |   view attached

No problem…Then I would use Catalin’s suggestion of using Service Manager.

Cheers!

• 7.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Jul 12, 2016 09:00 AM

Thank you for the update. We will test on the CPE as resources in services.Hope it works well.

• 8.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Jul 18, 2016 04:51 AM

Hi Catalin / Jason / All,

I tried your solution by creating policy in service manager,but it seems to be not working.Could you please guide in detail with steps or any other probable solutions.

Thanks.

• 9.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Jul 25, 2016 10:12 AM

Hi All,

Any hint on this.Thanks.

• 10.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Aug 08, 2016 06:21 AM

Hi All,

Please help me in resolving the same.Thanks.

• 11.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Aug 08, 2016 07:03 AM

Describe the steps you did for Service Manager. It should work. What type of service policy did you use?

• 12.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Aug 08, 2016 07:25 AM

Hi Catalin,

We created a Test Service in Service Manager and added random PE routers in that list and tested it.But it is not working as expected. Can you please help me with steps. Thanks.

• 13.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Aug 08, 2016 07:42 AM

What type of Service policy did you select?

• 14.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Aug 08, 2016 07:48 AM

Condition High Sensitivity.

• 15.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Aug 08, 2016 08:56 AM

Ok, so basically, it says that if the condition of the device is suppressed, it should evaluate its resource health as 'down'.

Isn't this what you're expecting from the system? Or I did not understand correctly your request. Your CPE condition can be either 'critical' or 'suppressed' and both mean that the device is down.

You can try maybe to use ´contact status high sensitivity' that uses the contact status attribute.

You have Service 1: Device A. Service 2: Device B1, Service 3: Device B2.

Whenever Device A is unreachable, therefore both B1 and B2 are not reachable, alarm is generated on Service 1, Service 2 and Service 3.

Device A is reachable but device B1 is not reachable, device B2 is not reachable-> alarm on Service 2 and Service 3.

Device A is reachable, Device B1 is reachable, Device  B2 is unreachable -> alarm on Service 3.

And to quote your request "

1. If device A is reachable but B1 is unreachable (and therefore also B2 isn’t reachable): alarm will be only generated on Device B1"

I don't understand why device B2 is unreachable, as a result of B1 being unreachable. Aren't them both device B1 and device B2 connected to the same device A?

• 16.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Aug 12, 2016 06:12 AM

Hi Catalin,

Thank you for the detailed update.Let me explain the requirement in detailed way

a)we have Provider Edge(PE) routers .

b)Customer Edge routers(CE) are connected to these PE routers.

c)customer devices are are connected to CE routers.

d)So ideally if CE routers is down then Spectrum raises an alarm at the CE router suppressing alarms on other connected device

e)Our requirement is In the above scenario we want alarms on CE also and also on connected customer devices also.

Regards

Aby

• 17.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 12, 2016 09:11 AM

It's exactly what I was saying in my initial post. Use the devices as resources in Services: PE, CPE, customer devices.

PE -> CPE -> CustomerDevice. You want alarms on CPE and CustomerDevice. Have them both as resources in Services. You'll have 2 service alarms for the 2 devices (CPE and CustomerDevice).

May I ask why you need to monitor customer device? Isn't it sufficient to see that your CPE is available? From a provider's perspective, you should not care about what happens beyond the CPE.

• 18.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Aug 17, 2016 04:21 AM

Hi Catalin,

Thank you for the detailed information and support.

I am testing the same will get back with results.

This is the requirement from client regarding the monitor of customer device also.

Regards

Aby

• 19.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Oct 11, 2016 06:27 AM

Hi Catalin / All,

I added PE,CPE, customer devices in services(kept service condition as Contact status High sensitivity) . Brought down the connectivity.But still it is observed that once CPE is down, the alarm on the connected customer device is getting suppressed.I even changed the attribute value Enable Suppressed Alarm but still no luck.

Please suggest.

Thanks & regards

Aby

• 20.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Oct 20, 2016 07:46 AM

CatalinF /All

Requesitng your help.

Thank You

• 21.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Oct 21, 2016 04:30 AM

There must be something wrong that you're doing. As long the contact status of the device is suppressed, the service manager should evaluate its resource status as down. Re-create the situation and check for each of the device used as service resources the value for the Contact_Status. See if they are correct for each of your devices. If the contact status is not lost for a device that is not accessible as a result of a fault that generates loss of connectivity, you should investigate what's the cause of that.

• 22.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Oct 27, 2016 09:07 AM

Hi Catalin,

Thank you for the details.I had re-created the situation and checked the contact status it is showing as lost. Also please find my observation about alarms.

Scenario 1:

if end device is down : Alarm is generated on the device

Scenario 2:

if connected CE router is made down.then alarm is getting generated on CPE and alarm on the connected end device alarm is suppressed

Attaching screen shot for reference.fault isolation

• 23.  Re: Fault Isolation of PE Routers

Posted Nov 14, 2016 06:04 AM

CatalinF

Requesting your help . Thank you