Replica of Production UIM Server

Aamir Khan

Aamir KhanJul 14, 2016 05:34 AM

Aamir Khan

Aamir KhanJul 19, 2016 03:22 AM

• 1.  Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 14, 2016 05:31 AM

Hello UIM Team

Our customer is requesting for replica of UIM production server so that any disaster happens, we have a full active backup server available.

Please let me know how can this achieve?

Taking full backup of UIM mdb, and probes,HUB and controller files are enough to make replica server?

Please guide.

Thankyou

• 2.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 14, 2016 05:34 AM

• 3.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2016 09:03 AM

Hi Aamir,

Have you seen the HA (high availability) probe?

"Continual operation of your UIM monitoring infrastructure requires minimal downtime for the primary hub. One way to achieve this is to install UIM Server on a Microsoft cluster, which provides a true high-availability solution. Another solution is to configure a secondary hub to take over if the primary hub goes down. This solution, which is based on the High Availability (HA) probe, ensures the essential functions of the primary hub continue. One limitation, however, is that UMP is unavailable during failover."

Read more here: ha (High Availability) - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation

Here's some info on installing to an active/passive Microsoft Cluster: Installing in an Active/Passive Microsoft Cluster - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.4 - CA Technologies Documen…

Hope that helps!

• 4.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 14, 2016 09:28 AM

Hi Philip

In our case what we need is a Backup and Restore procedure for current UIM server.

Please share backup and restore procedure for UIM.

Thanks

• 5.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 19, 2016 03:21 AM

Hello Team

Please i still need you advise

will full backup of mdb and all condgiruation files probe, hub and controller work to restore the uim serveR?

Please let me know

• 6.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2016 08:22 AM

Hi Aamir,

For a quick restore after a crash, I would maintain backups of the following:

> full UIM database

> full UIM ($PATH/Nimsoft/) directory on primary server

> full UIM ($PATH/Nimsoft/) directory on UMP server

Like Gene mentioned below, you could also take snapshots of the primary UIM, DB, and UMP servers.

If you have this information, you should be able to quickly install a fresh copy UIM, pointing it towards your DB and config backups.

Phil

• 7.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2016 09:21 AM

HI

I know a lot of clients will take a regular snapshot of the UIM primary server as a VM and then have a database backup.

I also suggest  a backup of the UMP server as a snapshot as well.

The import thing on the UIM server and ump server is to backup the entire Nismoft directory.

• 8.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 14, 2016 09:29 AM

Hi Philip

In our case what we need is a Backup and Restore procedure for current UIM server.

Please share backup and restore procedure for UIM.

Thanks

• 9.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 19, 2016 03:22 AM

• 10.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 20, 2016 03:21 AM

We need a little more info about your environment before we can answer correctly:

- diagram of your uim environment

- is your uim primary hub monitoring robots or is this done by connected hubs?

- physical server - vmware?

- backup software? (what are the normal procedures for other production servers in case of crash)

- how many time you have to rebuild a new uim server?

- do you have an empty server with uim pre-installed ready in case of crash of the primary?

• 11.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 20, 2016 03:41 AM

Hi Luc, Please see my answers below

diagram of your uim environment

Q.is your uim primary hub monitoring robots or is this done by connected hubs?

A.Yes, Primary Hub monitoring robot

Q.physical server - vmware?

A.Physical

Q.backup software? (what are the normal procedures for other production servers in case of crash)

A.like in  ca servicedesk, we take full backup of mdb and take backup of customization folder also.

Q.how many time you have to rebuild a new uim server?

A.Not yet, customer just ask to do this.

Q.do you have an empty server with uim pre-installed ready in case of crash of the primary?

A.Not yet, will make it

• 12.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 20, 2016 03:55 AM

If you say: UIM Secondary Server, do you mean a server that can take over the Primary Hub functionality via the HA probe? (that would be the most logical solution, so you have the time to correct the problems on your Primary Hub)

• 13.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 20, 2016 04:05 AM

Bsically, uim secondary server is not in place yet. the diagram shared is the proposed architecture shared by the customer.

• 14.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 20, 2016 04:09 AM

In that case the backup/restore can be done via the client's normal full backup/restore procedure (because you will have a secondary UIM server active for the duration of the restore) ?

• 15.  Re: Replica of Production UIM Server

Posted Jul 21, 2016 10:23 AM

I have a question: How can We do a backup all the checkpoints (metrics) applied into the robots? I have a lot of robots (more than one thousand) intalled and configured. Each robot with a specific checkpoints and thresholds.

Are these information stored where? Centralized? Or in a local robot?