Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

CA PPM REST APIs

• 1.  CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 15, 2016 11:19 AM

The CA PPM REST APIs, introduced in CA PPM Release 14.3, allow partners and customers to build more flexible apps and integrate CA PPM functionality with those apps. APIs are a competitive differentiator to winning in the App Economy, and CA Technologies and CA PPM are here to help.

With so much excitement about REST APIs, we’d like to summarize for you all of the available resources to help you be successful. Read our featured article on the CA PPM Cookbook on Flipboard and learn more.

http://cookbooks.ca.com/cacppm/2016/07/15/ca-ppm-rest-apis/

• 2.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 16, 2016 02:12 AM

Thanks John_George  for summarizing and publishing that.

You could add  http://www.regoxchange.com/show/959/ from Rego (requires login)

• 3.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 18, 2016 08:31 AM

Thank you for this feedback and the link. I also see that am1 has just replied below. Great suggestions from both of you.

What do you both think of us having a "Getting Started with the REST API's" topic in the documentation? Similar to what we have for Advanced Reporting with Jaspersoft?

Getting Started with Advanced Reporting with Jaspersoft

I think it may make sense to do something like this, instead of just having a cookbook article. The content really belongs there too.

Your thoughts please.

John

• 4.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 18, 2016 08:18 AM

Great work.

Good to see community content included too

• 5.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 18, 2016 08:32 AM

Thanks Andrew. Yes, I agree with you. I've just replied to you and urmas so please take a look and let me know.

Thanks,

John

• 6.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 18, 2016 08:40 AM

That would make sense John, that way it's integrated cleanly with existing content.

Also probably easier to update in docops over time too

• 7.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 18, 2016 08:49 AM

Yes, agreed - it makes perfect sense. It will definitely grow over time and having it in the documentation (DocOps) will make it much easier to update and keep accurate.  Thanks again am1.

John

• 8.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 18, 2016 08:57 AM

Yes I like having a single access point to documentation and currently the rest documentation as far as I understand it, is not but has to be access from a live CA PPM system.

What I also like in addition to all the theory and background info regarding what REST is and where does it fit in big picture is

- do this setup

- use this input to import a project

- use this to read it out

- use this to update

- and so on for all supported objects

Somewhat similar to Annitek's approach in order to get the threshold as low as possible to get going (initial success as early as possible).

The reason for that is that where I come from the CA PPM admins are not developers and do not have familiarity with development tools, but are frequently expected to transfer data.

• 9.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 18, 2016 09:06 AM

Great suggestion urmas - thanks! I'm adding Sarmistha_Purkayastha to this discussion here since she's our doc SME for the REST API's.

John

• 10.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 18, 2016 12:35 PM

Thanks John for adding me to this discussion. The best way to put together any documentation is to actually base it on the  customers needs. Thanks @ Urmas and @ Andrew for the input and suggestions. I agree that it makes sense  to point to all  available information and resources for the CA PPM REST APIs from a single access point in DocOps. Also, I can work with our SMEs to include other valuable info around setup and supported object actions with examples, etc.

Let me add this action item to our backlog for now. I will keep you posted here on any progress we make on this plan and will ping you for any suggestions or feedback.

Thanks and Regards,

Sarmistha

• 11.  Re: CA PPM REST APIs

Posted Jul 19, 2016 05:55 PM

@Urmas, there are some sample requests and responses for the create projects and read projects calls in the following documentation on DocOps. See the section "Sample API Requests and Responses".

REST APIs - CA PPM - 14.4 - CA Technologies Documentation

REST APIs - CA PPM SaaS - 14.4 - CA Technologies Documentation

Also, the API Reference documentation available from the application contains all the sample requests for each endpoint.