CA Service Management

• 1.  Can we have multiple USS servers pointing to single Catalog and SDM instances?

Posted Jul 18, 2016 02:40 AM

Hi All,

Can we install and run two separate USS servers which are not in cluster. Each USS server will have its own db and but will use common EEM,SDM and Catalog installations.

One USS server will be accessed by internal users and the other for external users who are not part of the internal domain.

Its more about segregation of users but not for load balancing.

Thanks

Lova.

• 2.  Re: Can we have multiple USS servers pointing to single Catalog and SDM instances?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 18, 2016 09:44 AM

Hi Bheema,

Being that the relationship with USS and catalog/SDM is one way, meaning that USS pushes/pulls data from catalog/SDM, but neither SDM nor Catalog push data TO USS, this should not be a problem. You should be able to use two completely separate USS servers, each with their own database.

Regards,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Can we have multiple USS servers pointing to single Catalog and SDM instances?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2016 09:53 AM

Hi Lova,

From a base architecture aspect, USS is pulling data from Catalog/SDM.  When it comes to raising tickets/requests via USS, its pushing data to SDM/Catalog using SOAP web services.    With that in perspective, I think what you have should be OK.  Just make sure that USS's   USSMDB.User_    screenname/email_address  have a matching user record in  MDB.ca_contact a userid / email_address  fields.

But then I gave it further thought and the main think I can think of is,  you can't get this done automatically by the installer.  Here's why:

1. When you run 14.1 installer, you have an option to point to a database that is going to host your 14.1 installation OR  already hosts it
    2. If you point this to a fresh database, then component = USS   requires you to have SDM/Catalog also in that database (which I'm assuming you won't have as it is an empty database)
    3. If you point this to an existing database, then you can select USS component, but it also detects your other USS nodes that are already integrated in this setup

One work around I can think of is - Backup your USS MDB on existing node,   restore it on another database server.   And then point your new USS (USS_Install_Dir/portal-ext.properties file a look at the JDBC URL entries)  to this new database.

Challenges to keep in mind ->  how do you apply a USS database upgrade/patch on this new db?

_R

• 4.  Re: Can we have multiple USS servers pointing to single Catalog and SDM instances?

Posted Jul 22, 2016 03:29 PM

Hi Lovaraju_KB - Did any of the responses help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!