Clarity

• 1.  AVP setting for Excel export not applicated

Posted Jul 19, 2016 06:16 AM

Hi All,

I'd like to ask why my AVP setting for resource list view was not affected in Clarity. Request was select all inactive resource from Clarity Resource list (Home -> Resources) through Export to Excel functionality. It crashes with exceed limit for operation. Searching this topic over the communities found that this is caused by AVP setting in the corresponding view. However that didn't help. Does someone knows why? Thanks a lot for your inputs

Resource List displaying almost 7000 records (only 20 per list):

Res_list.jpg

When tried to configure AVP setting in Options (right upper corner) - it was missing there (don't know why - logged as admin):

Res_list_configure.jpg

Then found corresponding view in Resource -> Views -> Resource List - Options setting (hope that's it, according to the name)

Res_options.jpg

I've set AVP setting to the "fastest" - the last and 30 rows per page, but it didn't affect anything (see first page, still 20 rows per page). Export to Excel after this setting also crashed with timeout.

Res_options_in.jpg

Matej

• 2.  Re: AVP setting for Excel export not applicated

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2016 07:22 AM

Hi Matej,

AVP check the security and hence it could be lag, however if you app is crashing then you don't have the adequate JVM to export. How much JVM you have allocated for app.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 3.  Re: AVP setting for Excel export not applicated

Posted Jul 19, 2016 08:28 AM

Hi Suman,

Sorry for this, it's not really crashing, but after click on Export to Excel it's loading e.g 5 or 10 minutes and then it "crashes" to timeout page - it just exceeds time for execution of a single request .....We have 2 servers, each has 3 app services. For each app service is allocated 2GB memory (-Xms2048m -Xmx2048m)

Rather my question was why I still can't export the data after setting were set....

Matej

• 4.  Re: AVP setting for Excel export not applicated

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2016 09:18 AM

Hi Matej,

The timeout is probably at your load balancer which is causing this, the time it takes to prepare the excel is exeeding the time you have in Load balancer and also 2 GB is less running app with these sort of excel.

What is the CA PPM Version.

Regards

Suman Pramanik

• 5.  Re: AVP setting for Excel export not applicated

Posted Jul 19, 2016 09:31 AM

Hi Suman,

Hmm, yes that might be also.

Clarity is version is 13.3. So only way is increase memory and Load balancer limit right? Is there any workaround or not?

Thanks

Matej

• 6.  Re: AVP setting for Excel export not applicated

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2016 10:10 AM

Thats correct.

• 7.  Re: AVP setting for Excel export not applicated
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2016 04:39 PM

Hi Matej,

Have you tried publishing the page view? I see that you set 30 rows per page as well as the AVP and it didn't work. The change will not work if you didn't publish and the user had a customized user view. Please note that the action of Publishing will reset all user views in the system, so only do it with caution.

Alternatively to avoid Publishing you can log in with the user that was exporting the excel, go to Resource List - click on Actions - Configure - General - Restore Defaults and reset your/his list view to default. This should also show the 30 rows.

Test it after that and see if it improves for you. Removing AVP will always improve the export to Excel performance. You should also be aware of how many records you export, and not go outside of the reasonable limits.

Please let me know how it went.

Kind Regards -Nika

• 8.  Re: AVP setting for Excel export not applicated

Posted Jul 20, 2016 03:50 AM

Hi Nika,

That's It - publish or reset do default will apply the changes - this important I couldn't find before.

As you said publishing is for all users, while reset to default is applicable only for one user - I didn't know that reset to default will apply my changes at all. I've used it before for other issues but now I've used this one.

Immediately after Export to Excel I was able to save my list, so thank you a lot.

Matej