DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Update Virtual Machine Memeory and CPU thresholds.

Posted Jul 28, 2016 11:35 AM

We've got a ton of virtual devices in our environment, and we've recently connected Spectrum to the VMware vCenter server.  Now, we're getting alarms for "VIRTUAL MACHINE MEMORY STATE" and 'VIRTUAL MACHINE CPU STATE".  The alarms seem to be pretty handy, but a bit too noisy for us.

I'd like to find the file to modify and set these thresholds to monitor just for the Critical values, and not the Warning values.  The default is to monitor both.  I'd also like to adjust the Lag Cycles for the CPU monitoring from the default of three to 6.

I'm guessing this is in some .XML file some place since.  Can anyone point me to where this file is?

• 2.  Re: Update Virtual Machine Memeory and CPU thresholds.
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 28, 2016 05:04 PM

Hi Steve

"VIRTUAL MACHINE MEMORY STATE WARNING" has probable cause code 56e108e.  It's generated by event  56e108e.  The "VIRTUAL MACHINE MEMORY STATE CRITICAL" alarm and event are 56e108d and 56e108d. 
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-spectrum/10-1/en/managing-systems/virtual-host-manager/vmware/alarms-and-fault-isolation-for-vmware/virtual-host-manager-alarms-for-vmware/traps-supported-in-virtual-host-manager

"VIRTUAL MACHINE CPU STATE WARNING" has alarm and event codes 56e1059 and 56e1059.  You can plug those codes into the filter field within the Event Configuration Editor and set the alarms (or lack thereof) how you want them.

These changes will show up in your Spectrum/custom/Events directory when you save the changes in the editor.

Scott

• 3.  Re: Update Virtual Machine Memeory and CPU thresholds.

Posted Jul 29, 2016 07:57 AM
      |   view attached

Thanks for the help.  That might be the way I need to go.  What I was looking for though was a way to control the thresholds and monitoring configuration instead of manipulating the alarm messages.  I’m looking for where the configurable data might be.  If it isn’t possible to establish a default setting for this, then we would need to look at how the alarms are handled.

• 4.  Re: Update Virtual Machine Memeory and CPU thresholds.

Posted Jul 29, 2016 09:58 AM

Hi Steve

This is a function of the SystemEDGE software.  You can set a policy in the sysedge.cf file locally where the AIM is installed, or push the configs from a central location.  See whether this guide helps. https://support.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20Server%20Automation%2012%206-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/PDF/SE_User_ENU.pdf 

If not, try the Virtual Assurance community.

Scott

• 5.  Re: Update Virtual Machine Memeory and CPU thresholds.

Posted Jul 29, 2016 10:29 AM

Thanks.

I've tried to add this to SystemEdge and Virtual Assurance for IM.  We'll see if we get any other replies.