Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

• 1.  How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:35 AM

Is it possible to modify the Action Copy Status Report to avoid overwriting Report Date with Copied status report date... and to avoid overwriting Report Status (Draft/Final) with Copied Status Report Status.

If not,  did anyone build a custom process to copy a report removing the OOTB unwanted behaviors.

I know next version will help resolve this issue with the publish button... so I will not generate and Idea.  I am looking for a temporary solution until we move to next version.

• 2.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Aug 05, 2016 08:55 AM

If you want to keep it OTTB, then train your users to create a new instance of the status report then copy from the old.

Otherwise, you could build a gel process to read and then XOG a copy in. Fairly simple, and really improves the user experience

• 3.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Aug 15, 2016 09:35 AM

Thank you Andrew,  would you have by any chance a gel process example that do a similar task that I could re-use to get started?

• 4.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Aug 15, 2016 11:31 AM

Sadly I can't share an actual process, but here's an outline of what you need to build    

User selects the report to copy in list and selects process from action menu:

That then triggers the below:

Pass through the object id and persist

• ${gel_objectInstanceId}

Read the data for the object instance to be copied

Set these as variables

Pass the variables into a status report new instance (XOG)

error handling etc

You could get a partner/independent consultant to build this

Initiating a Process from an Action link - UX improvement?

• 5.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Jan 26, 2017 10:12 AM

am1 

So would you start with a custom copy menu item in the Actions menu?

Referring to the question some time ago, could the process also set the name of the Status Report with out save and refresh?

Or do you need another process?

Is the status report created in the db when the edit properties view opens with the copied data?

• 6.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Jan 26, 2017 10:35 AM

Hi Martti,

So would start with a custom copy menu item in the Actions menu?

Yes, the user would select the instance then trigger the process through the menu

Referring to the question some time ago, could the process also set the name of the Status Report with out save and refresh?

Process can set the data to any requirement, as soon as it's run it's created. User doesn't interact till it's done.

Or do you need another process? 

No, it's the same process

Is the status report created in the db when the edit properties view opens with the copied data?

it's created in the db as soon as process triggered, user view the created report.

Similar mechanism to the copy cost plan.

Here's the user journey

select report to copy

Under actions select copy (I wish I could add a copy button at the bottom without a customisation!)

New report created with (copy) in title, status of draft and report date of today.

User then goes into the status report and edits the data as they want.

We could go further and build a custom webapp to enter this data but that's for another day!

• 7.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Jan 29, 2017 10:49 AM

Thanks am1 

When I look at actions for Status Reports I see three actions, but cannot access anything that would tell me what exactly they do. Therefore I posted a question on that

What exactly do the Status Report actions do 

No answers this far.

I did not find anything in the documentation either. Therefore I posted a question on that

How do I find object actions in documentation 

No answers this far.

What I a trying to do is copy the latest status report. I  do have a query which gets the data, generates the name and gets the next autonumber with Aurora's query. I can put that into a process which XOG's it in, but have not found a way to launch the process with the actions. Yes, I can create a new action and associate it with a process. That must be associated with an attribute other than name, ID and other meaningful for me. The other problem is that after I have created the new action it is added to the list, but not to the Actions menu and cannot figure any other way to launch it. In other words stuck.

Another option might be if one could add filters to the Status report list view with which the latest report could be chosen.

In 13.3 the Action Menu is not in the list of status reports, but in the Status report properties page. So you have already selected and opened the status report you want to copy. When you click Copy action then the list that opens contains all the status reports in the system and for all projects. That is why you need the filter, You already have defined the source when you opened the status report properties page. On the other hand it really does not matter which status report you open as the list will display all so you can select a status report for  another project as the source. Convenient, but not user friendly.

Stuck here, too.

• 8.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Jan 29, 2017 05:43 PM

Sounds like you've gone the right path, the actions menu item on the list view should display the process action.

For these process links to appear, the user has to have rights to run that process. grant yourself rights to run it. 

Otherwise try restarting the app and resetting the view.

As for the other copy functions, I documented this along time ago. I will find and share.

• 9.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Jan 30, 2017 01:24 AM

It cannot be the rigths as I created the process and have rights for administration and functionality.

• 10.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Jan 30, 2017 09:10 AM

Ok, difficult to suggest more without seeing your environment.

It's certainly possible to do, so likely a configuration issue.

• 11.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Jan 31, 2017 03:16 PM

Just happened to stumble on something in the documentation (no help from search)

Apparently those actions are Object actions.

According to what I see in the documentation they are available for portlets.

The way you configure them is you go to the tab configuration in portlet page configuration there you have Actions.

Eg in project default layout page you have a number of Actions. However, on that page you can only activate or deactivate the actions.

In my case it is the Status report list which is a object based portlet and not a page with tabs. So another dead end.

am1  was your case custom or standard object and a portlet or page with tabs?

• 12.  Re: How can I adjust the Copy Status Report Action

Posted Feb 02, 2017 02:04 PM

That was not it.

The glue was in

Replicated Actions on Object Action Menu 

The other thing was that either my PMO was not updated to match the CA PPM version or Status Report object was corrupted.

That is covered in documentation in

https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/15-1/en/administration/reference/ca-ppm-studio-development/ca-ppm-studio-menus-and-links