Release Automation

• 1.  What is the user role that has permissions to create a new environment?

Posted Jul 29, 2016 12:00 PM

Hi,

I am creating a user group with below permissions set to that group:

1. The group should be able to view the application, design panel, processes and components but shouldn't be able to modify them. -> I have set "Can View application and removed Application owner and Application Publisher permissions" to achieve this.

2. I want them to be able to create new deployment plans and make deployments without letting them to create a new template categories/templates. But, its okay to let them have access to create template categories. -> I have enabled "Release Template Designer" to achieve this.

3. I want them to make any changes to a particular environment. -> I have set "Environment admin" to achieve this.

But, I am not sure how to let them create a new environment with all the above permission requirements. Is there any permissions at application level to achieve this?

For now, I have set the group as Admin User with "Application creator and Artifact manager" roles.

Version : v6.1

Jacky_Mahadab

Long question short: Is there a way to let an user create new environment without giving him "Application Owner" permission?

Thanks,

Kaushik

• 2.  Re: What is the user role that has permissions to create a new environment?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2016 05:16 PM

Just for clarification, do you mean create a new application, or create a new environment?  For the former, in Automation Studio, navigate to Administration --> Permission management to modify application-specific permissions, such as who's owner of what. Meanwhile, under Administration --> User Management, you have a separate option to check "Application Creator".  I've never tried that particular combination of permissions, but that might give you the result you're looking for.

One thing to note: don't use any admin roles. Admins only have access to high-level system settings, such as, for example, creating new users.  They do not have access to design functions, and do not have permission to login to ROC.

Admin users: users who only access system settings.

Superusers: users with all access to everything.

Users: any other combination of permissions.

• 3.  Re: What is the user role that has permissions to create a new environment?

Posted Jul 31, 2016 02:03 AM

I don't think there is a specific role just for creating new environments.

Application creator will allow you to create new applications and get application owner role on the newly created applications but will not grant you permissions on existing applications.

• 4.  Re: What is the user role that has permissions to create a new environment?

Posted Aug 01, 2016 09:53 AM

Hi Jacky,

Thanks for your answer. I want an user who can perform a bunch of actions and one of the actions is creating a new environment.

Below is the list of actions he should be able to perform :

1. Should be able to view design panel to see the flows and processes but shouldn't be able to modify them.

2. Should be able to create deployment plans and initiate deployments.

3. Should be able create a new environment for a given application and perform all actions required to create a new environment.

Is there a user role / permission set that could satisfy these 3 requirements?

Most important one is to let user see design panel but deny access to modify them. At the same time, he should be able to perform other actions.

Thanks,

Kaushik

• 5.  Re: What is the user role that has permissions to create a new environment?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 01, 2016 10:37 AM

Not sure you can set up this permissions

The requirement for the user to be able to create new environment will lead to make him application owner which automatically give him more permissions than you want to assign him.

I would suggest to create new idea for this requirement - add new permission level - create new environment

• 6.  Re: What is the user role that has permissions to create a new environment?

Posted Aug 01, 2016 10:41 AM

Alright. Will do. Thanks Jacky

• 7.  Re: What is the user role that has permissions to create a new environment?

Posted Aug 01, 2016 11:05 AM

For everyone looking for a similar feature, kveluru opened an idea on it here: New permission level to create new environment

Please vote on it and direct all further discussion on this feature there. Thanks!