Layer7 API Management

• 1.  What is the maximum variable size?

Posted Aug 01, 2016 05:10 AM

Hi Folks,

I was trying to use Set Context variable assertion with a big attachment payload. The assertion is failing at around 500 MB. I wanted to know if there is a maximum limit on Variable size?

Thanks,

Abhishek

• 2.  Re: What is the maximum variable size?

Posted Sep 01, 2016 04:35 PM

wow, be careful with variables that size in the gateway, we can get in trouble real quick... 

If you're referring to 'Message Size' then this may be of some help - https://communities.ca.com/thread/241731176?q=message%20size 

• 3.  Re: What is the maximum variable size?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 07, 2016 08:10 AM

Thanks Doyle for the information.

We had a disk space issue. The file was getting buffered into file system & we realized that the disk space was the culprit. 

• 4.  Re: What is the maximum variable size?

Posted Sep 07, 2016 10:58 AM

that'll do it

• 5.  Re: What is the maximum variable size?

Posted Mar 31, 2017 01:59 PM

How did you fix the disk space issue? Right now, we're having similar issue where /opt directory was allocated with 5 GB of disk space and we were testing with 100MB file uploads. So the files are uploaded and stored temporarily in the

/opt/SecureSpan/Gateway/node/default/var/attachments

directory. I added 10 GB to /opt directory and now more files are able to be stored but now it gets hung up and gateway crashes. What could be the reason here? I would assume with more GB added, it would help the gateway process faster.

• 6.  Re: What is the maximum variable size?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2017 08:13 PM

Dear AccentureDistributionList18000007 ,

Yes, gateway can be used to transfer files. But I strongly recommend not to do so for big files. It's some kind of misusing  the gateway. There should be other and better way to do the file transferring, just let gateway do the security jobs like authorization.

Go back to your case, I believe you had set the io.xmlPartMaxBytes to allow big file, then you may check the ssg log (/opt/SecureSpan/Gateway/node/default/var/logs/ssg_0_0.log) to see if any clue of the crash.

I guess you might see Out-of-memory error. If that's the case, in your policy, you might try Configure Message Streaming assertion to enable streaming(ie. no buffering). 

Regards,

Mark