DX NetOps

• 1.  Power failure alerting without UPS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 04, 2016 06:29 AM

Hi

Have anybody done some work in Spectrum on getting power failure alarms at a site without using UPS's?

Regards

Klsaus

• 2.  Re: Power failure alerting without UPS

Posted Aug 04, 2016 07:39 AM

This Alarm can come also from redundand power suplies (single phase), intelligent PDU and power sensors. But you need every time one active device, that can be also a notebook, which can detect the outage and send an alarm

Alex

• 3.  Re: Power failure alerting without UPS

Posted Aug 04, 2016 08:00 AM

I'm working on some Power  Alarm customizations for Cisco devices.

You can contact me, if you think, this could help.

• 4.  Re: Power failure alerting without UPS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 04, 2016 05:07 PM

Hi Frank

I am certainly very much interested.

Regards

Klaus

• 5.  Re: Power failure alerting without UPS
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 05, 2016 02:25 AM

Here is a brief overview.

It may sound trivial, but for getting power alarms it is neccessary to have devices with redundant power supplies in different power circuits.

And (mostly) the devices only know, there is power on circuit x or not.

Don't  expect more!

(Power) Alarm handling for Cisco devices differs very much.

The prerequisite is that the devices will send the correct traps.

Sometimes polling may help, but today we need mostly traps.

There is a good handling for devices with good old IOS. We get alarms and have also "Cisco Environment Monitor Information" at the "Information" tab.

I'm still checking IOS-XE devices, but it also looks good.

We have a few ISR devices but we wait already 1 year for the Spectrum certification.

ASA devices only send "Syslog Traps". We have modified event 0x210c0e to filter them out.

Every ASA trap contains  a number for the message type. So it is easy to filter exactly. The codes for the power messages are "ASA-1-7356003" - "...006".

What's left?

Nexus Devices.

This seems not so easy.

Maybe, the MIBs for the  "Cisco Environment Monitor Information" view are not supported.

Power traps ("cefcPowerStatusChange", 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.2.0.2) generates only event 0x2104b2.

The implementation of this event seems to be a little bit buggy and is based on a very old version of "CISCO-ENTITY-FRU-CONTROL-MIB".

I'm still busy with analyzing and customizing it.