OPS/MVS

• 1.  Changing MATCHLIMIT defaults of CEITRACE across the board?

Posted Aug 04, 2016 09:48 AM

Can someone tell me where to change the MATCHLIMIT default for EITRACE to something other than NONE?

Also, is there a reason we have not thought of where CA thought is should be set to NONE?

I remember during various web-ex and in person conversations with Greg where he highlighted that NONE was a BAD thing, particularly in a Production address space, and with Detail turned on, which just happened here.

This manifested itself during problem determination of a CICS transaction and when detail was turned on.  I am thinking it should either be set to either -1-, or a forced entry to prevent it becoming NONE by accident.

• 2.  Re: Changing MATCHLIMIT defaults of CEITRACE across the board?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 04, 2016 11:26 AM

Peter,

The MATCHLIMIT parameter can be changed from the default of NONE, in the Sysview.CNM4BPRM  parmlib member CEITRACE.  There are multiple sections in this

parmlib member for setting Default Definition Values and Exec Interface Trace Definitions. Make sure that the changes you make are above the )EOF statement, or the

definition will not be honored as it will be ignored.

As to the reason why setting MATCHLIMIT to NONE is not recommended, it is because MATCHLIMIT=NONE will allow the trace to remain active until it is disabled.

Hence, having that tracing active for protracted periods of time in a production environment could cause overhead to increase.

• 3.  Re: Changing MATCHLIMIT defaults of CEITRACE across the board?

Posted Aug 04, 2016 11:32 AM

Thanks.

I already know why it shouldn’t be set to NONE.

My question was asking CA why they defined it that way.  We did not do that; it is default vendor code.

Also, should all of the entries in CEITRACE be modified, or just the first one?

Also, how do we submit the enhancement to request that CA change this to something other than NONE in the future, possibly in 14.2 ?

Peter T. Brown

Phone: 412-236-0429

• 4.  Re: Changing MATCHLIMIT defaults of CEITRACE across the board?

Posted Aug 04, 2016 11:37 AM

As a follow-up question, once we change the parm member, do we need to issue any panel commands to make it current in Sysview, such as a reload?
    Also, will that erase any current entries we have in the panels?

• 5.  Re: Changing MATCHLIMIT defaults of CEITRACE across the board?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2016 03:34 PM

Hi Pete,

CA-SYSVIEW Sustaining Engineering is currently in the process of preparing a fix/PTF  that will set the default CEITRACE MATCHLIM to '1' from NONE.

• 6.  Re: Changing MATCHLIMIT defaults of CEITRACE across the board?

Posted Aug 09, 2016 03:38 PM

GREAT NEWS!

THANKS!

Peter T. Brown

Phone: 412-236-0429

• 7.  Re: Changing MATCHLIMIT defaults of CEITRACE across the board?

Posted Oct 20, 2016 12:16 PM

The PTF that was issued for this is very helpful.

What is not helpful is that the RELOAD COLD option basically does a MERGE instead of deleting the current definitions and reloading the new definitions.  We had to manually change settings in existing definitions, or simply delete them manually outright.  Trying to delete them out of the datastor and then a RELOAD COLD did not help any.

It seems that the RELOAD COLD option is not consistent across panels, and it probably should be.