DX NetOps

• 1.  Possible bug with attributes 'RedAlarmsOutstanding' and 'OrangeAlarmsOutstanding'

Posted Aug 05, 2016 07:58 AM

Hi all,

I graph the number of minor, major and critical alarms over time using:

0x11a14 - RedAlarmsOutstanding,

0x11a0e - OrangeAlarmsOutstanding and

0x11a2c - YellowAlarmsOutstanding

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 13.03.16.png

And have noticed some strange bug where the value seems to just peak to some high number (maybe it goes negative and changes to a high number?). I have only seen it happen for Red and Orange alarms. I've not yet seen it for Yellow.

e.g. Red alarms is at 429467290 and orange is at 429467269.

Is anyone aware of this issue as well?

We are running 10.1.1 on RHEL 7.2.

If not I'll raise a ticket.

Regards,

Frank

• 2.  Re: Possible bug with attributes 'RedAlarmsOutstanding' and 'OrangeAlarmsOutstanding'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 05, 2016 08:08 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Frank,

That doesn’t sound right and I don’t think there’s anything you could do to correct it so as you note I would open a case ☺

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Possible bug with attributes 'RedAlarmsOutstanding' and 'OrangeAlarmsOutstanding'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 05, 2016 08:13 AM

Sorry, let me further note...

I meant I think it will take a code change to fix it.  To temporarily correct it you could probably stop/restart the SS to reset the attribute.  We’ve seen it go to a negative number in the past, and restart would temporarily take care of it but a code change was needed to actually fix it so it wouldn't do it again.

If you can save the SSdb first, and dump the attributes to a text file in CLI for the VNM, locallandscape and the AlarmMgmt model, that might help us…

Thanks!

• 4.  Re: Possible bug with attributes 'RedAlarmsOutstanding' and 'OrangeAlarmsOutstanding'

Posted Aug 05, 2016 08:19 AM

Thanks Jason. Logged!

00471422: Attributes reporting wrong values

Regarding saving the db, I'll try do that. I'm not sure what caused it - something overnight!

0x2a00000_alarms.png

I'll perform an SSdb backup and get those stats from VNM shell but a restart will have to wait for now. Thanks.

• 5.  Re: Possible bug with attributes 'RedAlarmsOutstanding' and 'OrangeAlarmsOutstanding'

Posted Sep 01, 2016 02:02 PM

Curious to know the outcome of this? Jason? Frank?

• 6.  Re: Possible bug with attributes 'RedAlarmsOutstanding' and 'OrangeAlarmsOutstanding'

Posted Sep 01, 2016 06:28 PM

Hi Melissa,

CA Support are aware of some issue involving Maintenance mode (if I remember correctly). I've found another place to get similar stats for now (from the AlarmManager model - RedAlarmCount, OrangeAlarmCount and YellowAlarmCount) but it doesn't have all of them (it has Critical/Major/Minor though so that's good enough!).

Seems to work fine for me for now.

Regards,

Frank