Gen EDGE

• 1.  How can I look at the current subscript of a RGV in DTU?

Posted Aug 09, 2016 07:51 AM

There must be a way to look at the current subscript of a RGV in the DTU, but I cannot find it! Can anyone help?

I can see the total number of populated rows (LAST) but not current subscript....

• 2.  Re: How can I look at the current subscript of a RGV in DTU?

Posted Aug 11, 2016 10:53 AM

I believe the only way to see the value of a subscript in the DTU currently is to set a view to the value of the subscript and display the view.  This might make for a good Idea and it seems like it might be a relatively easy enhancement to make to the DTU since, as you state, the LAST value for the group view is shown; why not show the current subscript as well.

• 3.  Re: How can I look at the current subscript of a RGV in DTU?

Posted Aug 11, 2016 05:31 PM

John's answer is by far the simplest.

If it's a windows/C job, your other alternative is to build with OPT.DEBUG = YES, and attach the Visual Studio debugger to the running executable, setting a breakpoint in VS and looking at the code attribute that matches the group view (ending in MA).  There's probably equivalents for Linux/gdb.

• 4.  Re: How can I look at the current subscript of a RGV in DTU?

Posted Aug 12, 2016 04:04 AM

For MVS COBOL code you can see the value with xTrace if you use the xTrace source code post-processor which adds in support for viewing RGV subscripts.

• 5.  Re: How can I look at the current subscript of a RGV in DTU?

Posted Aug 12, 2016 04:37 AM

Thanks guys. We'll go with John's idea to use a view. I was just surprised I could not find a way to display the current subscript. Seemed like something you definitely would like to be able to do. I'll raise an idea for it.