Clarity

• 1.  First Baseline

Posted Aug 15, 2016 12:12 PM

I need to trigger a process based off of the FIRST baseline only.  I tried triggering it using the Baseline Finish date - but that is not working.  Any suggestions would be great!

• 2.  Re: First Baseline

Posted Aug 15, 2016 12:52 PM

Don't think that would work:

https://communities.ca.com/message/241733550?commentID=241733550#comment-241733550

Can you create a flag, which can be checked and the process run, based on that flag ? The flag can be locked after the process is completed.

NJ

• 3.  Re: First Baseline

Posted Aug 15, 2016 01:24 PM

Hi Linda.

Ideally we'd love to put a start condition on the project object based process that would check to see that the baseline ID is null.

Until we get that as productized, supported capability, here's one solution I've seen implemented for problems like this before:

Create a boolean attribute (eg 'Has Baseline') that gets checked (set attribute value to 'yes' or 1) in a step before the final step in your baseline process. You can make this read only, default to 0 and put it on a secured admin subpage as a housekeeping attribute. For the process, set the start condition to 'Has Baseline = 0', thus this will effectively give you the 'run once at first baseline' capability you require.

I see that Baseline Cost is available to be used in a start condition. Is it possible that you would ever have a baseline with no cost? I haven't tested this, but it's possible that a start condition like below might work. I'm not in a spot to test this right now - if you have a chance give this a test - this could be a 'no new attribute - all done in studio' approach which I always strive for.

test.png

• 4.  Re: First Baseline

Posted Aug 15, 2016 01:52 PM

Thanks so much Rob!  I will try this!

Rob - just took a look - we do not have a "baseline process" that I can edit.  It looks like it is a query.

• 5.  Re: First Baseline

Posted Aug 15, 2016 03:14 PM

my zz_test process above is a new object based process based off of the project object, thus baseline is availale as a sub object in the start condition. Are you creating a new object based process with this 'run once at new baseline' capability or are you adding to an existing process?

• 6.  Re: First Baseline

Posted Aug 15, 2016 03:53 PM

It looks like I am going to have to create a new object based process for this.

• 7.  Re: First Baseline

Posted Aug 16, 2016 10:54 AM

Rob - what are you using for your Start conditions for your NEW baseline process?  Thanks!

• 8.  Re: First Baseline

Posted Aug 16, 2016 03:46 PM

Hi Linda.

Our baseline IDs start with "BL".

On a project object based process, this start condition so far tests out as a 'run once on first baseline' process.

Start Event: Update

Do not start a new process if one is already running is checked.

Start Condition: ( any( ( Baseline (Subobject) Revision ID like 'BL**' ) ) and ( Project has_baseline = 0 ) )

Basically I'm saying 'Check to see if there is a Baseline Revision ID Like 'BL*' <--notice the wild card

AND

the has_baseline attribute is unchecked

In my simple test process, I create a baseline (in the CA PPM UI) and click Save & Return. This kicks off the process. It sends me an action item (just so I know it can do something), then sets the has_baseline attribute to yes, then locks it (NJ's recommendation above), then finishes.

workflow.jpg

To operationalize something like this you'd need to pre-seed checks onto all projects that already have baselines, maybe add some more logic to the start condition to better box in your functional needs (example, I'd add 'Is Active = 1'. No sense risking this running on inactive projects?), consider options for override/re-running if necessary, etc.

... and Test Test Test of course.

I haven't tested what happens if a baseline is initiated in a client tool, but in the CA PPM UI this looks like it meets your requirement of "process based off of the first baseline only"

HTH

• 9.  Re: First Baseline

Posted Aug 17, 2016 08:53 AM

Thanks Rob!  I’m getting closer!

Linda Forsstrom

Clarity Administrator - Clinical Technologies

E linda.forsstrom@almacgroup.com

25 Fretz Road | Souderton PA 18964 | United States of America

www.almacgroup.com <http://www.almacgroup.com>

• 10.  Re: First Baseline
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 22, 2016 05:47 PM

Hi linda.forsstrom - Did Robert_Ensinger's response help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!