ESP Workload Automation

• 1.  Identifying External/Internal Dependencies

Posted Aug 16, 2016 01:19 AM

I need your help in  identifying job's predecessor and successors both internally and externally.

Eg: We have 50 jobs in a box and out of those 50 jobs, 10 jobs are dependent with in the box, 10 are independent and rest 30 jobs have predecessors / successors which is outside the box, so if there a way by which we can fetch a report or use WCC/Idash etc which will generate the list of those  predecessors / successors.

our requirement is to get a list of all predecessors / successors in a report format.

Job_depends, WCC is not meeting the purpose as it is job by job basis.

Will Idash be of any help?

Please suggest for any query or feature that I can use to get this information.

• 2.  Re: Identifying External/Internal Dependencies

Posted Aug 16, 2016 01:56 PM

did you actually run job_depends -J ALL ??

or job_depends -J something% ??

• 3.  Re: Identifying External/Internal Dependencies

Posted Aug 17, 2016 03:40 AM

I ran job_depends –J  -c –d, but it is giving dependencies job by job basis.

Also job_depends –J ALL is not a valid option as per autosys, I got error msg – Specified parameters are not valid, Error in command line for job_depends.

Is there any query or other option to try?

• 4.  Re: Identifying External/Internal Dependencies

Posted Aug 17, 2016 05:44 AM

Hi

We recommend iXp for your need. With iXp migration assistant,

based on your selected jobs to put on production, iXp can tell you

which other objects are related to your selected job and which ones

have migrated already.

I you don't have iXp product installed,

It is better that you ask an assistance from CA Services.

Thanks

• 5.  Re: Identifying External/Internal Dependencies

Posted Aug 18, 2016 04:07 AM

Hi Sunish

With WCC 11.4 ( Mine is SP2 )  what if you look into Qview then select Job Flow.

You'll see a graph like below and you can export it to either a PDF or PNG file

Quick View can be used as a diagnostic tool to monitor critical aspects of jobs that you run from CA Workload Automation AE, as an alternative to searching through a command line report for the job status information you want. If needed, you can print the visible portion of the job flow or save an image of the entire job flow. You can access Quick View by clicking the Quick View tab on the main CA WCC page.

PDF file will be:

• 6.  Re: Identifying External/Internal Dependencies

Posted Aug 18, 2016 04:51 AM

I have already tried the QUICK VIEW option in WCC, but it is not meeting my requirements. Since the job flow doesn’t show the external dependencies in the flow diagram.

Also, I have a box with 150+ jobs and all these 150+ jobs have internal as well external dependency and when I am viewing the JOB FLOW of the whole box, the flow diagram is not visible or in readable form and it just shrinks in to pixel size image…

• 7.  Re: Identifying External/Internal Dependencies

Posted Aug 18, 2016 07:56 AM

you need to issue

job_depends -c -J ALL

you received error because you didn't not include -c for current or -d for dependency only etc.

Steve C.

• 8.  Re: Identifying External/Internal Dependencies

Posted Aug 18, 2016 07:57 AM

for 20 years I have been able to utilize the CLI for such needs. One must test and dig into options just not do what they are shown. understand why something  works or doesnt work.

just my 3 cents. good luck

• 9.  Re: Identifying External/Internal Dependencies

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 26, 2016 11:51 AM

Sunish, I've marked this question as answered because the conversation ended. If you're still having trouble, please come back and let us know!