Layer7 API Management

• 1.  MAG Device Status - difference between registered and active state

Posted Aug 16, 2016 12:37 PM

I am using MAG v 3.2 and I am trying to setup the device registration scenario. There is a device_status parameter under Device RegistrI am using MAG v 3.2 and I am trying to setup the device registration scenario. There is a device_status parameter under Device Registration configuration configuration assertion. The two states for this parameter are active and registered. So what is the difference between the two state? I am quite confused because with device registration we have the user authenticated and this should make the device active so how does an active state play?

• 2.  Re: MAG Device Status - difference between registered and active state
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2016 12:48 PM

Hi gpravichandran,

Please see below:

Registered: The device is registered but is not activated and cannot be used.

Active/Activated: The device is registered and available for use.

Further details can be found in the online documentation: Manage Devices with the MAG Manager - CA Mobile API Gateway - 3.2 - CA Technologies Documentation

Regards,

Joe

• 3.  Re: MAG Device Status - difference between registered and active state

Posted Aug 16, 2016 12:56 PM

Thank you dasjo02 for the reply. So should the administrator manually change the state of device from registered to active? is there an OOTB feature which helps us to automate this?

• 4.  Re: MAG Device Status - difference between registered and active state

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 17, 2016 10:31 AM

This is typically handled through the MAG Manager. I am not familiar with a way to automate the process. I imagine if you are setting the device to registered vs active upon registration it would be to have some sort of review process for the device before use.

• 5.  Re: MAG Device Status - difference between registered and active state

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 17, 2016 10:38 AM

Hi guys.

I don't think you don't need to automatize this. At least out of the box. By default the device status will become ACTIVATED after a successful registration/authentication/authorization process went through. Besides that, if you have specific requirements/use cases, where you had to change the registration endpoints, you may want to automatize that. This is possible by either changing the status through the database (more like a hammer down approach - not elegant neither recommended), or you could open your MAG Manager and inspect the endpoints being called when you change the device's status.