Clarity

• 1.  ORA-00018 Maximum number of connections exceeded

Posted Aug 17, 2016 02:10 PM

Our CA PPM system went down when the application decided to exceed the maximum number of database connections.  On researching, I found there are some Java Parameters that will get rid of unused connections.

1: How do you apply these parameters to the BG and App services?

2: What syntax would you use?

When I add this to the Database Connection string in the Properties.xml, it clears them out when I start the application.

When I add these to the App Service, it does not start the service.  There doesn't appear to be JVM parameters for the BG service.

Help!  How do I add these settings to PPM Services to keep CA PPM from establishing infinite connections?

<jobSchedulerInstance id="bg" serviceName="Clarity Background Server" runJobScheduler="true" maxConcurrentJobs="20" runProcessEngine="true" messageTimeToLive="120" messageReceiverInterval="5" exceptionRunInterval="normal" serviceUser="your_user" servicePassword="your_password" autoStartService="true"/>

removeAbandoned

(boolean) Flag to remove abandoned connections if they exceed the removeAbandonedTimeout. If set to true a connection is considered abandoned and eligible for removal if it has been in use longer than the removeAbandonedTimeout Setting this to true can recover db connections from applications that fail to close a connection. See also logAbandoned The default value is false.

removeAbandonedTimeout

(int) Timeout in seconds before an abandoned(in use) connection can be removed. The default value is 60 (60 seconds). The value should be set to the longest running query your applications might have.

logAbandoned

(boolean) Flag to log stack traces for application code which abandoned a Connection. Logging of abandoned Connections adds overhead for every Connection borrow because a stack trace has to be generated. The default value is false.

• 2.  Re: ORA-00018 Maximum number of connections exceeded
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 17, 2016 03:56 PM

There is a tab on Database in csa about maximum connection, however if the connection is kept open in BG then it could be some process or job where connection is not getting closed.

If you go to URL http://servername/niku/proxool you can see how many connections are getting used.

If you see this pattern again please do log a support ticket and it needs to be investigated, we dont need to limit any connection via JVM.

The default JVM parameter should be like below unless you adding some additional switches during any time of troubleshooting

-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -DforceMemorySettings=false

Regards
    Suman Pramanik

• 3.  Re: ORA-00018 Maximum number of connections exceeded

Posted Aug 22, 2016 06:39 PM

Hi Lowell - Did SumanPramanik's response help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!