DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

• 1.  Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 18, 2016 01:26 PM

I've not come across this flavor for introcope agent install on Solaris.

Can someone help me out on which installer I would pick?

I am currently using "IntroscopeAgentInstaller10.1.0.15unix.tar" which i've untarred. I would think this would be the package to use for agent install, right?

If this is the correct package then which app server type do I pick during my install?

Specify the type of application server to monitor.

1- Default

2- JBoss

3- Tomcat

4- WebLogic

5- WebSphere

6- Interstage

When I spoke to the app owner, they told me it's

Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

OHS and Oracle Application Sever (OAS)

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers,

Manish

• 2.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2016 02:01 PM

The default agent would be your best bet. 

Since its by Apache, see if they're also using tomcat with it.  If so, you can use the tomcat agent on that tomcat process to view the metrics for that process.

• 3.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 18, 2016 04:32 PM

musma03

They are not using tomcat at all with it. So, I guess I will have to use the "Default" option, right? I see a near future CA Support Case being opened on this scenario . Be ready to take that on

Thanks

Manish

• 4.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2016 03:32 PM

Hi Manish:

In your situation, will you be using the default or tomcat agent to do the install? What other information do you need to know before undertaking the Solaris agent install for OHS?

Thanks

Hal German

• 5.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 18, 2016 04:36 PM

At this point, I am going to try and use the "Default" option to perform the install. What they have is...

10gAS 10.1.3 is what they are using which is comprised of:
    Apache
    OPMN
    ModPLSQL

• 6.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2016 04:55 PM

As long as it is a Java application, the Default agent will send the metrics over.

• 7.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2016 06:23 PM

Hi Manish:

When do you think they would do the install with the default option.? Do you have what you need to proceed with the install?

Thanks

Hal German

• 8.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 19, 2016 08:08 AM

Hi mparikh72

Do you and the associated team have the information that you need for a successful install now? If not, what else do you need to know to be clarified? I appreciate your prompt response

Thanks

Hal German

• 9.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 23, 2016 10:44 AM

So, now the question comes..............how do I instrument this Oracle App Server with the "Default" app server selected. The startup script is a wrapper that calls an "opmnctl" file which in turn starts the app server.

Does anyone have any experience with how to instrument the Introscope Java Agent v10.1 with this type of app server and file?

I did not want to start a new question/thread as I would think folks who read this can get a background info from the previously exchanged Q&A

Thanks in advance.

Manish

• 10.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 10:54 AM

Hi Manish,

You should be able to put our Java settings right into the script as you would a weblogic, websphere, tomcat way.

• 11.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 23, 2016 02:42 PM
      |   view attached

Yeah, I figured as much but neither I nor the app server admin as a clue as to where to input those jvm args.

Here are the 2 files that are part of the start up script. The "adoacorectl.sh" is the wrapper script which then calls "opmnctl" file.

Attachment(s)

zip
    opmnctl.txt.zip   8 KB 1 version

• 12.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 03:35 PM

Hi Manish,

It should go in opmnctl.  However there are multiple JAVA lines so you need to figure out which one is being called based on your environment.

Thanks,
    Matt

• 13.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 23, 2016 06:27 PM

I have no clue as to where in that file the args would go and in what type of syntax?

-javaagent:<PathToAgentJar> -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=<PathToAgentProfile>

or some other syntax?

• 14.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2016 08:41 AM

Manish,

Its quite simple.  You would use our regular -javaagent etc etc etc that you would normally use and append that to the JAVA line.

To figure out which one to put it in, you're in luck.  Since its Linux (and not windows ) all you need to do is put a debug statement in the script.  You can use echo to print out a statement or touch to create a 0 byte file somewhere on the system.  I usually prefer touch as sometimes statements can scroll off the screen too quick.  What you can do is put touch <path to file and file name> in each of the JAVA statements, but make sure each statement has a different file name so you can tell where it came from.

Example:

if (blah)

{

touch /opt/fileA

JAVA etc etc etc

}

if (blah 2)

{

touch /opt/fileB

JAVA etc etc etc

}

After re-running it, you'll find which file was created.

Thanks,

Matt

• 15.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 10:49 AM

Hi Manish:

I acknowledge that I have seen the question and will ask internally for a response.

Thanks

Hal German

• 16.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 23, 2016 10:55 AM

FYI..........here is the link to the OHS documentation. This is what they are using and this is what I am trying to instrument.

Oracle HTTP Server Administrator's Guide, 10g Release 3 (10.1.3)

Manish

• 17.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 11:00 AM

Hi Manish:

Have you started to instrument this or still in data gathering mode ? If you tried it,did you have any successes and roadblocks?

Thanks

'Hal German

• 18.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 23, 2016 02:37 PM

I have not instrumented this yet b/c I am not sure as to how to instrument it. I am ready to instrument the app server though. I installed the java agent so far.

• 19.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 06:51 PM

Out of curiosity, why instrument a web server?

What languages are you running from it?

If running PHP, have you tried the PHP agent yet?

If Perl, have you tried creating something to read the output from mod_perl and Apache::VMonitor?

• 20.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 24, 2016 10:50 AM

Hiko_Davis Their OHS is bundled and has a front end web server as well as a middleware app server that runs the app. I don't think they are running PHP. We are looking for a "out of the box" solution rather than creating from scratch or heavy customizing.

• 21.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2016 11:33 AM

Now that I understand the implementation, then it makes sense to have the agent there.

I would recommend publishing the web server metrics for the web server agent to read.

I was interested to see that OHS functions a lot like NGINX does.

Depending on the language for the implementation, there is some great data to be had using mod_perl and Apache::VMonitor. A quick Google search will show you a number of examples of the data that's available.

Then it's a simple matter of scraping the page for the data.

• 22.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 24, 2016 03:29 PM

It's all java based apps. I am going to start with Matt's recommendation and see if I have any success.

Going to be slow and steady.

Thanks

Manish

• 23.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 03:42 PM

Hi Manish:

Please let us know of your progress after adding to the correct Java invocation in opmnctl.

Thanks

Hal German

• 24.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 24, 2016 11:27 AM

Hallett_German - Still working on it. If you need to mark this "answered" then do as you see fit.

Thanks

Manish

• 25.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2016 09:10 AM

Hi Manish:

If Matt's last suggestion does not resolve the issue. Or you need help afterwards on metrics, please consider opening a case

Thanks

Hal German

• 26.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2016 12:26 PM

Hi  Manish:

If I was doing this right, there would be a branch on the new question. But I left it all in one branch. So ,it is already answered. Just trying to determine the best way to help you move issue forward

Thanks

Hal

• 27.  Re: Introscope v10.1 agent install for Apache embedded in Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)

Posted Aug 24, 2016 03:27 PM

it will take time to move forward (a week or at least end of this wee).