Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Need to create certs via RESTMAN API

Posted Aug 19, 2016 03:19 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create a certificate without logging into the Policy Manager. I am hitting the RESTMAN API service : https://gateway-name:8443/restman/1.0/trustedCertificates  via SOAP UI. I am selecting the POST method so that I can fetch the XML code but when I am hitting its giving me some Bad Request. Below is the sample I am hitting:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<l7:TrustedCertificate xmlns:l7="xyz some values i got">

<l7:Name>NewCertName</l7:Name>

<l7:CertificateData>

<l7:IssuerName></l7:IssuerName>

<l7:SubjectName></l7:SubjectName>

<l7:Encoded></l7:Encoded>

</l7:CertificateData>

</l7:TrustedCertificate>

Please let me know If I am correct or not. If not then please suggest the correct XML code as I am not well versed with XML.

If I am correct then please let me know how I will collect the IssueName, SubjectName and Encoded details.

The above details we can take from created certs ?

• 2.  Re: Need to create certs via RESTMAN API
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 27, 2016 03:29 AM

Pratyush,

The trusted certificates resource is used to manage certificates that the gateway will trust for outbound HTTP connections and Trusted list for inbound SSL connections when version 1.1 or 1.2 of TLS is used. The resource that will create a new private key is privateKeys. 

Excerpt from the https://<gateway node/cluster name>:8443/restman/1.0/doc/restDoc.html#1.0/privateKeys documentation:

Create Resource

Creates a new private key given a PrivateKeyCreationContext. The PrivateKeyCreationContext is used to specify how the private key should be created. The PrivateKeyCreationContext dn is the domain name to create the key with. The properties are optional but you may specify:

KeyTypeDescription
    ecNameStringThis the Elliptic Curve key type to use. If it is not specified an RSA key type is used.
    rsaKeySizeIntegerThis is the rsa key size to use. This is only applicable if an ecName is not specified. Defaults to 2048
    daysUntilExpiryIntegerSpecify the number of days until the key expires. Defaults to 5 years.
    caCapableBooleanSpecify if the certificate should be CA capable. Defaults to false
    signatureHashAlgorithmStringThe algorithm used for the signature hash.

Example request:

<l7:PrivateKeyCreationContext xmlns:l7="http://ns.l7tech.com/2010/04/gateway-management">      <l7:Dn>CN=srcAlias</l7:Dn>      <l7:Properties>          <l7:Property key="signatureHashAlgorithm">              <l7:StringValue>SHA384</l7:StringValue>          </l7:Property>          <l7:Property key="rsaKeySize">              <l7:IntegerValue>516</l7:IntegerValue>          </l7:Property>          <l7:Property key="ecName">              <l7:StringValue>secp384r1</l7:StringValue>          </l7:Property>          <l7:Property key="daysUntilExpiry">              <l7:IntegerValue>2</l7:IntegerValue>          </l7:Property>          <l7:Property key="caCapable">              <l7:BooleanValue>true</l7:BooleanValue>          </l7:Property>      </l7:Properties>  </l7:PrivateKeyCreationContext>  

This responds with a reference to the newly created private key.

Request
    POST 1.0/privateKeys/{id}
    Path Parameters
    ParamTypeDescription
    idstringThe ID of the private key to create in the form of [keystore ID]:[alias]
    Body
    This specifies how to create the private key.
    Elementl7:PrivateKeyCreationContext
    Content-Typeapplication/xml
    Response
    Body
    A reference to the newly created private key
    Sincerely,
    Stephen Hughes
    Director, CA Support

• 3.  Re: Need to create certs via RESTMAN API

Posted Jan 22, 2018 02:47 AM

Hi Stephan ,

need small help regarding trust certificate configuration using restman client, I want to validate CRL (certificate revocation list ) for incoming request to the gateway .I know manually how we can do using policy manager but struggling with restman . Can you please help here .

using Policy manager I am enabling certificate revocation  as below .

Thanks!

Prashant Srivastava

• 4.  Re: Need to create certs via RESTMAN API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 22, 2018 11:12 AM

Prashant,

The three settings that you have outlined for the Certificate Validation Options are controlled within the

Cluster Wide Properties (CWP). By default a CWP does not exist as it will take the default validate option but once created it will create a permanent CWP entry that will need to use the PUT option to update.

Sample of modifying the Certificate Validation Options:

HTTP Method: POST/PUT

URI to use: /restman/1.0/clusterProperties

Available options for the value:
    validate
    validatepath
    revocation

<l7:ClusterProperty xmlns:l7="http://ns.l7tech.com/2010/04/gateway-management">
    <l7:Name>pkix.validation.other</l7:Name>
    <l7:Value>revocation</l7:Value>
    </l7:ClusterProperty>

<l7:Name>pkix.validation.routing</l7:Name>

<l7:Name>pkix.validation.identityProvider</l7:Name>

Sample of creating a Revocation Policy

HTTP Method: POST/PUT

URI to use: /restman/1.0/revocationCheckingPolicies

Payload:

<l7:RevocationCheckingPolicy xmlns:l7="http://ns.l7tech.com/2010/04/gateway-management">
    <l7:Name>CRL from URL2</l7:Name>
    <l7:DefaultPolicy>false</l7:DefaultPolicy>
    <l7:ContinueOnServerUnavailable>false</l7:ContinueOnServerUnavailable>
    <l7:DefaultSuccess>false</l7:DefaultSuccess>
    <l7:RevocationCheckItems>
    <l7:Type>CRL from URL</l7:Type>
    <l7:Url>http://crl.ca.com</l7:Url>
    <l7:AllowIssuerSignature>true</l7:AllowIssuerSignature>
    <l7:TrustedSigners>69e22f4c815a7c4aa5910ecfbbdc4dd9</l7:TrustedSigners>
    </l7:RevocationCheckItems>
    </l7:RevocationCheckingPolicy>

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 5.  Re: Need to create certs via RESTMAN API

Posted Jan 23, 2018 01:47 AM

Thank you Stephen for providing detail step!!

I have created clusterwide property pkix.validation.other ,pkix.validation.routing and pkix.validation.identityProvider to control revocation checking for Identity provider ,routing and other .

now  I have set all three attribute value as revocation using restman.

But its failing now for all valid certificate as well . I have verified all cert present in the manage cert ,its property signing client cert and trust anchor already selected

Error message :

2018-01-23T07:35:49.644+0100 INFO 772 com.l7tech.server.policy.assertion.ServerSslAssertion: 4114: Found client

certificate for CN=******S***** CA 1, OU=** 017, OU=CA, O=***, C=XX

2018-01-23T07:35:49.644+0100 WARNING 772 com.l7tech.server.identity.fed.FederatedIdentityProviderImpl: 2034: Unable

to build path for Certificate CN=Prashant SrivastavaOU=people, OU=CA, O=***, C=XX: unable to find val

id certification path to requested target; related error(s) [Revocation check failed for certificate 'CN=Prashant S

rivastava (XX), OU=people, OU=XX, O=XX, C=XX.]

Thanks!

Prashant Srivastava

• 6.  Re: Need to create certs via RESTMAN API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 10:33 AM

Prashant,

This was another Community post that could help. How to validate user certificate using a CRL? 

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 7.  Re: Need to create certs via RESTMAN API

Posted Jan 23, 2018 11:25 AM

Thank you for your help stephen !!

I have gone through provided community link, user said there issue resolved after raising case with ca support but no more info there. Please help .