CA Service Management

• 1.  completion date is null in workflow tasks

Posted Aug 19, 2016 12:52 PM

Hi,

Some of the classic work flow tasks in change orders show completion date is null and hence it is not moving out from " My pending Taks"  queue even the task is completed. when i did research task 4 is completed prior than task 1, don't know how this happened. As of now. we just want to flush out the user pending task queue as it is already completed. please help.

• 2.  Re: completion date is null in workflow tasks

Posted Aug 19, 2016 06:56 PM

Hi, can you tell me if you have new task status or you have modified any task status " out the box"?

What's the task status  that you are using to complete task?

Juan.

• 3.  Re: completion date is null in workflow tasks
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 22, 2016 02:41 AM

Hello Sheik,

You may want to look into root cause of why you have a "null" completion date - otherwise it could happen again.

Log an issue with CA Support if needed.

As far as fixing up what you have, you can't do it through the web interface in the default configuration, because Workflow Tasks lock out the Completion Date. But you can do it - with care - through the database or with database utilities like pdm_extract/pdm_load.

CAUTION: Database tools can destroy your database. Try this on a test system before and back up your data.

How to extract all Workflow Tasks associated to a specific Change Order

First identify the Change Order “id” based on the on-screen Change Order “reference number”:

pdm_extract -f "select id, chg_ref_num, summary from Change_Request where chg_ref_num = '2233'"

Then use the Change Order “id” as the Workflow Task “object_id” to extract the Workflow Tasks:

pdm_extract -f "select * from Workflow_Task where object_id = '400651'"

Identify the Workflow Task that has the incorrect Completion Date.

Update the text file so that it just has this one Workflow Task (and headers) in it, with an updated Completion Date.

Then reload it with pdm_load -v -f My_WF_Task.txt

Alternatively, you can go straight in with database tools to the table.

Please see if you can correct the data, and update this thread with the result.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 4.  Re: completion date is null in workflow tasks

Posted Aug 22, 2016 11:29 AM

Dear, there are 2 paths to follow for the case reported:

1. Solve your current problem: for this you can use the information delivered by Kyle

2. Prevention:

For point 2,

Each type of task has linked the states that can be used. Each "Workflow Task Status" has attributes that allow "Complete" and/or "Continue to Next Tasks" (among other attributes).

You must be careful to change these attributes, for example, if you modify the option "Continue to Next Tasks = Yes", since that time that workflow tasks use this status, allowing you to continue with the next task in work flow without the need that this status been to "complete" the task. If after some time you decide to change the setting of this status to "Continue to Next Tasks" = NO, the following tasks using this state will not allow the next task automatically pass "Pending", leaving inconsistency in your flows.

I hope I have helped

Juan

• 5.  Re: completion date is null in workflow tasks

Posted Aug 22, 2016 11:39 PM

Good point, Juan. Giving you a "Helpful" flag.

Kyle_R.

• 6.  Re: completion date is null in workflow tasks

Posted Aug 23, 2016 11:20 AM

Hi rkalidh87 - Did any of the responses help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!