DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

• 1.  UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Posted Aug 22, 2016 04:52 AM

Hi All,

This is regarding UNIX file systems monitoring, we have observed that file systems have been removed from monitoring automatically.

As per our investigation it happened due to unmount/mount activity of file system.

Please let us know what changes needs to be done in CDM.CFX to prevent this kind of issue in future as never seen this kind of issue earlier and all these file systems are very critical from business perspective and should remain in the monitoring of all the time.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 2.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Posted Aug 22, 2016 05:23 AM

I found in raw configure of deployed CDM probe that there was a regular expression configured "/^\/mnt\//" in Ignore_File_System field.

So i guess because of this option its preventing new mounted file system getting configured in the monitoring.

Please confirm if this is the reason, so that i can remove it from package for LINUX servers and deploy on all the servers to rectify this issue.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 3.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2016 05:43 AM

Hello Manish,

On UNIX platforms, use the regular expression (/\) to exclude any particular filesystem from monitoring.

You need to remove the regular expression in Ignore Filesystem.

Thanks.

Regards

-Sayeed

• 4.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Posted Aug 22, 2016 05:53 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply Sayeed, so it means that which i assumed that configured regular expression was the reason for the issue (file systems have been removed from monitoring after unmount/mount activity).

So just need to make blank field of Ignore_File_System and this issue will get resolved.

One more thing which i want to ask that if i would make this change in package of Linux and deploy that on all Linux servers, would it enable the monitoring on all the file systems on server which had been removed earlier due to unmount/mount.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 5.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2016 06:10 AM

once you have made the changes in package of Linux and then you need to redeploy the package that should enable the monitoring..

Thanks.

Regards

-Sayeed

• 6.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Posted Aug 22, 2016 06:26 AM

Thanks again for your such a quick response, however when i redeployed the updated package it did not enable the monitoring of file systems.

Anything else which needs to be done in cdm.cfg and in the mean time i will try again on different server.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 7.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2016 06:51 AM

You need to make the required change in cdm.cfg and then have that file in your package for redeployment.

Thanks.

Regards

-Sayeed

• 8.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Posted Aug 22, 2016 07:57 AM

I did the same, made the changes and then deployed the updated package and it did not work.

And created new package with updated cdm.cfg, still did not work.

Please assist what am i missing.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 9.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2016 11:03 AM

Hello Manish,

Okay, please create a support case on this. 

We will have a webex with you to identify the root cause.  Please include cdm.cfg to the case.

Thanks.

Regards

-Sayeed

• 10.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Posted Sep 08, 2016 02:43 PM

Was a root cause found?

• 11.  Re: UNIX files systems montoring removed after unmount/Mount

Posted Sep 09, 2016 03:21 AM

No, i raised a case with CA and they are not able to identify exact issue.

Only solution they gave to upgrade UIM and then check, it was not feasible for me therefore manually enabled the monitoring and observing if this issue reoccurs.

Regards,

Manish Sharma