CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

To Disable all CA notifications

• 1.  To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 23, 2016 03:18 AM

Hi There,

We want to completely disable all the Notifications going to the user in CA. Please suggest. One way could be Disabling the Notification for all the user but it requires a lot of Manual task.

Please help.

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 23, 2016 03:35 AM

In my experience the quickest way to disable notifications (and it is always a good idea when you have cloned Production to be a Development instance) is to update all notification method fields in table usp_contact to null.  The notification method fields are c_cm_id1, c_cm_id2, c_cm_id3 and c_cm_id4.

Back up usp_contact first – e.g. by running

pdm_extract usp_contact > uspContact_bak.txt

The following pdm_extract command will give you all the current records with their notification methods.  Note that the commands below will not copy and paste well, due to ‘smart quotes’ and other non-ASCII characters.  Re-type rather than copying and pasting:

pdm_extract –f “select id, c_cm_id1, c_cm_id2, c_cm_id3, c_cm_id4 from usp_contact” > myUspData.txt

Replace all of the c_cm_idx fields with “” and then run

pdm_load –vf myUspData.txt

Regards,

James

• 3.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 23, 2016 04:06 AM

Dear James,

May I ask if there is any difference between your suggested method and directly update via SQL and run pdm_cache_refresh?

Best regards,

Conan

• 4.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 23, 2016 04:19 AM

Hi Conan,

I have to admit my personal inclination would be to use SQL.  I'd still take a pdm_extract of usp_contact first, though :-).  However, I have worked in an environment where the DBAs won't give me the password for the 'servicedesk' account on the SQL server, which makes the 'pdm_extract / pdm_load' method attractive because I don't have to involve them.

Regards,

James

• 5.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 23, 2016 06:36 AM

HI James,

Can you please let us know the complete detailed steps to extract and then reload the records as suggested by you like what all steps have to be done before running those commands etc.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• 6.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 04:02 AM

Hi Sonakshi,

I second the steps provided by James. Alternative way is to ay identify the notification method used, and then make it inactive.

Ex: If Email is used for notification then

Administration tab->Notification->notification method->Email-> Change the status to "INACTIVE".

Recycle services.

~Vinod.

• 7.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 23, 2016 06:34 AM

HI James,

Can you please let us know the complete detailed steps to extract and then reload the records as suggested by you.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• 8.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 23, 2016 07:07 AM

Hi, 

Below steps can be performed via SQL.

You can try below query to disable notification.. ( try this in your test environment first and take backup of usp_contact as suggested by james...)

update usp_contact set c_cm_id1=null,c_cm_id2=null,c_cm_id3=null,c_cm_id4=null where contact_uuid=***

where clause is used to update this for a single user or if you want to perform this for group of users, may use "where contact_uuid in (***,yyyy)

if you want to perform this for all users you can omit where clause and execute till " c_cm_id4=null"

please check table ct_mth to know the methods of notifications in your environment.

• 9.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 24, 2016 03:49 AM

Hi Sonjay,

If you need to do for all your contact, I will recommend you to use the method suggested by Vinod Subburaj vs. updating all your contact records.

Quicker to do, less intrusive and easy to revert back from a single click

/J

• 10.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2016 03:57 AM

Hi Sonakshi,

Hope you had a chance to follow the steps to inactive the notification method.

This would work, and keep us posted if you need any further assistance.

~Vinod.

• 11.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 24, 2016 05:35 AM

Hi Vinod,

Made the Email notification method inactive and recycled the services but still getting emails when i am changing the assignee of the tickets. I have also made the Default  mailbox set as in active , but no luck.

• 12.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 24, 2016 05:50 AM

There is no need to recycle service for this change to take effect.

You may want to look what is the notification method used for each notification level by those users that continue to receive it.

Also check the template of the corresponding notification to verify correspondence with the user/ the template and the notification that you have inactivated.

Please not that some emails may have been queued and in fact been send prior to your change

Note also that the mailbox is for incoming email.

May you want to disable any email to be send out by SDM you can also remove the corresponding option in the option manager. Drastic but will do for sure

/J

• 13.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 24, 2016 07:22 AM

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for your help! Marking the Templates as Inactive helped. Now not receiving any email notifications when any change is made to existing CA tickets.

Can you please explain more on "removing the corresponding option in the option manager". This is because there are emails we have received from CA Service Desk as AHD58009:Could not create Incident. Reason: INVALID - Ticket Creation is Restricted! Will Option Manager help in this case?? Just to let you know we have restricted ticket creation in CA for some upgrade puposes.

• 14.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 30, 2016 01:13 AM

Hi Jerome,

We have stopped getting emails from CA whenever any update is made to the tickets, but the users are still getting Survey Emails. Can someone please advice?

• 15.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 30, 2016 01:12 AM

Hi There!

Thanks all for your help! 

We have stooped getting emails from CA whenever any update is made to the tickets, but the users are still getting Survey Emails. Can someone please advice?

Thanks.

Sonakshi

• 16.  Re: To Disable all CA notifications

Posted Aug 30, 2016 01:43 AM

Hi,

Please find the below steps:

Go to Administration > Notifications > Activity Notifications > select Close

Uncheck the Send Survey (find the below screen shots)

I hope this helps in your scenario.

Thanks

Junaid