DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  CISCO_UCS probe and monitoring redundant PSU's

Posted Aug 23, 2016 08:34 AM

Greetings!

I'm running the CISCO_UCS probe. I'm currently getting a warning alarm from the Redundant PSU that the management software reports as in "Power Saving" mode. This gives less metrics to the Probe, hence it produces the error:

"Failed to configure monitor 'PSU 4.Output Power'. Updated value will not be available."

Apart from excluding a genuine error or removing the monitoring of what is, a live unit, is there a way to keep that unit monitored, but avoid the alarm until it gets switched on automatically by the Cisco management software?

Many thanks!

• 2.  Re: CISCO_UCS probe and monitoring redundant PSU's

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 09:25 AM

Hello,

The failure means that when it goes to look for the specific value, in this case 'PSU 4.Output Power' that it, for some reason, cannot find the value. It could be that it does not exist, is timing out, etc.

Do you see if those values show up in the actual UCS console?

Thanks.

Regards

-Sayeed

• 3.  Re: CISCO_UCS probe and monitoring redundant PSU's

Posted Aug 23, 2016 11:40 AM

The Management software reports the PSU in "Power-saving" mode.

This is what I assume provides a reduced number of metrics for the Probe to monitor, which therefore exclude the specfic points the Alarm is raised for.

My question is the way to handle the monitoring of this mode.

When the PSU becomes an active component, something else will have failed, which will also produce an alarm. And, now being an active component, the previously "power-saving" PSU no w ill be monitored as normal.

In this probe, (in a similar way to the VMWARE probe) is there a way to handle items like this without taking them out of monitoring?

• 4.  Re: CISCO_UCS probe and monitoring redundant PSU's

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 11:47 AM

With this probe, I don't think you can handle items like this. 

SNMP collector probe may help you in this regard.

Thanks.

Regards

-Sayeed

• 5.  Re: CISCO_UCS probe and monitoring redundant PSU's

Posted Sep 05, 2016 09:29 AM

Hi Sayeed.

That may well be the only other option, as there is no "Redundent-sensitive" option within the probe itself.

Either that or we just switch off the QoS from the other options enabled within the probe that this PSU is not providing.

Not ideal, but perhaps the only way within this probe.

Thanks for the input. :-)