Layer7 API Management

• 1.  How do I use a SAML token (in the transport header) to secure a Rest API against LDAP

Posted Aug 24, 2016 10:46 PM

Hello.

We would like to use a SAML token (in the transport header) to secure a Rest api returning JSON from the CA API Gateway (v 8.4)  e.g. to a JavaScript App.

The solution will use LDAP for Identity and Access management, so the flow is:

- Login/authenticate with LDAP user details (Would this require a Login enpoint/api?)

- App/User is issued SAML Token

- App/User makes request to gateway endpoint (API) with SAML Token and authorises against LDAP attribute

- API returns appropriate response

Could anyone please provide any examples, recommendations or a sample of the policies that are required to do this please? I’m thought there would be recommendations/example available showing the best practices to do this but I can’t find them.

This would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Paul

• 2.  Re: How do I use a SAML token (in the transport header) to secure a Rest API against LDAP

Posted Aug 25, 2016 04:01 PM

Are you sure you want a SAML token in a http header? They can be very long and a header has a limited length. Also consider OAuth to compare with.

• 3.  Re: How do I use a SAML token (in the transport header) to secure a Rest API against LDAP

Posted Aug 29, 2016 05:09 PM

Thanks Edward.

As we already have the accounts in LDAP and these are being used for enterprise apps it doesn't seem like it requires a OAuth workflow.

I thought we could do this as described in the the following white paper (page 10) and that this would be a well described process i.e. with samples and instructions so that we do not have to roll to much of our own http://www3.ca.com/us/~/media/Files/whitepapers/federated-identity-and-single-sign-on-using-ca-api-gateway.pdf 

Do CA have any samples of the method they propose?

Cheers,

Paul

• 4.  Re: How do I use a SAML token (in the transport header) to secure a Rest API against LDAP
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 07, 2016 02:09 PM

I agree somewhat with Edward that SAML tokens in the HTTP header can be risky. That being said, assuming a lot of details are not carried by the token it should be fine. Is it just an AuthN statement? Or is there expected to be a considerable amount of attribute statements as well? Attribute statements are what typically bloat out a SAML token to make it prohibitive for use in Headers. There is technically no limit on the HTTP header size imposed by the spec, but rather the server defines the limit. The default in Apache is 8k. That includes ALL header information, so cookies, etc, must be considered. I just created what I would consider the minimum in a SAML token for federating an identity (AuthN, Name Identifier, signed token) and it is about 3k. Bloat in XML can grow that rapidly with attributes, etc, but there should be room.

WRT providing an example, I'm not aware of any. I just worked through your use case and it is pretty straight forward. Here are some tips:

1. SAML is typically used as a form of Federation in this case - i.e. user is authenticated in one domain and sent to the next. The enforcement endpoint is merely confirming that the issuer is trusted. So you will need some endpoint to issue the token. Note that the Gateway can act as the issuer, so in Policy, you can check if the token is present and validate it *or* you can challenge for credentials and issue the token as part of the response. I think that is beyond the scope of this discussion, though.

2. You should ALWAYS use signed SAML tokens and have the certificate of the issuer installed in the Gateway. The issuer has the relationship with the LDAP, not the Gateway, unless, of course, the Gateway is the issuer. Whatever the case, you will need to import the signing certificate from the SAML authority (issuer), ensuring that the "Sign SAML Tokens" option is checked (and probably the Certificate is a Trust Anchor unless you are validating up a chain), then use that certificate as the basis for a FIP (Federated Identity Provider).

3. The (Non-SOAP) Validate SAML Token is the assertion you want to use to check the Authentication Statement. First, you must cast the token from the header to an text/xml message-type context variable, then call the (Non-SOAP) Validate SAML Token assertion with the various parameters you need to enforce (SAML Version, Authentication Methods, Subject Confirmation [which is probably Bearer], Name Identifier, and check the Required Embedded Signature box). This will automatically extract the credentials to the message context of the SAML token. Next just authenticate the SAML Token message against the FIP.

Here's a snippet of policy to illustrate the enforcement part:

Enforcement Policy example

Remember that the relationship with the LDAP is at the *issuer*, not the *enforcer*.

Hopefully, that helps to clear things up for you.

BTW, if you are concerned with bloat in the header you can always consider using signed JWT as the token format. They are much leaner and can do the same thing.

Also, if you do have Attributes in the SAML token that you need, you must call an additional (Non-SOAP) Validate SAML Token assertion that is for attributes. Unfortunately we can't do both Authentication and Attributes in a single call.

• 5.  Re: How do I use a SAML token (in the transport header) to secure a Rest API against LDAP

Posted Sep 27, 2016 10:36 AM

awesome response Jay, thanks for the depth.

• 6.  Re: How do I use a SAML token (in the transport header) to secure a Rest API against LDAP

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2016 06:58 PM

John,

Did either of the posts assist answering your question?

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes
    Director, CA Support

• 7.  Re: How do I use a SAML token (in the transport header) to secure a Rest API against LDAP

Posted Sep 28, 2016 03:12 PM

Thank you all for your feedback and your time taken to reply. These have all been helpful.

I actually went down the OAuth route after the first reply but I can now see how we could implement and use either. We will be using Jay's advice in the future as there is likely a requirement for this too.

Cheers,

Paul