Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Get the host name of clarity user session

• 1.  Get the host name of clarity user session

Posted Aug 26, 2016 10:40 AM

Hi All,

In cluster environment, need to know from database which user session connected to which node.

Is this information stored in any table ? or is there any workaround.

This is only required by admin and not end users so not required to display on application.

Regards,

Khushboo  

• 2.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

Posted Aug 26, 2016 11:17 AM

Don't think so ; CMN_SESSIONS holds some session detail but I think things are only really persisted to the database in order to handle handing off one session to a different node when the "application" needs to, and all that would be held "in memory" in the application layer.

The access log files on the relevant nodes would tell you though ; you can see session ids in those - so you could (I guess) set up some automatic parsing of those to find the session details perhaps?

Also the action:security.caches&selected=caches hidden page shows the server name in the window title (only have access to that if an admin user) ; you perhaps might be able to debug that page in order to work out if you can get the info some other way.

• 3.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

Posted Aug 26, 2016 02:26 PM

I don't recall that being stored in the db.

For a work around it used to be possible to use the Web server functionality of the Clarity server for other purposes parallel to Clarity. See

https://communities.ca.com/message/117871784?commentID=117871784#comment-117871784 

However, I have a recollection that SumanPramanik posted that CA PPM is now using white lists which block that work around.

• 4.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

• 5.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

Posted Aug 26, 2016 02:39 PM

Take a look at the LOG_* tables.  This is data that aggregated for performance reporting.  It will include the data you are looking for if the jobs are job are setup to run.

-Josh

• 6.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 27, 2016 11:42 AM

As @Josh said. Please run the Tomcat Analyze Job and you will be able to find the same which user has hit which server. The information can also be fetched from app access logs too 

• 7.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

Posted Sep 01, 2016 04:22 AM

Hi Josh,

Are you refering to LOG_* tables in Clarity schema ? could not find relevent table/view starting with LOG_ which is holding this information.

• 8.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 01, 2016 04:39 AM

What is your CA PPM version?

The log files only exist in v14.1 and later.

See Georgy's blog

Georgy's Clarity PPM Blog 

If your version is prior to 14.1 you have to resort to the access logs or use the work around in my post.

• 9.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

Posted Sep 01, 2016 05:56 AM

Okay..We are in 13.3 right now

• 10.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 07:23 AM

Hi KP,

You can still do it, take the app ca log, import into database and you can slice and dice the data in any way you want 

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 11.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

Posted Aug 30, 2016 07:33 PM

Hi kp1 - Did any of the responses help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!

• 12.  Re: Get the host name of clarity user session

Posted Sep 02, 2016 02:36 AM

Thank You everyone for your inputs. It helped to figure out possible ways to track the cluster node of user session.