CA Service Management

• 1.  Questions about Dashboard and Analysis Tools

Posted Aug 26, 2016 10:58 AM

Hello everyone,

Would I like to know what the best tools to build dashboards and make analysis of the CA-SDM's data? I saw something about Xtraction. Is the Xtraction is the official tool for analysis or Can you use any analysis tool?

I have other question is: Does The analysis/dashboards tool consume hot database? or is there a cold database (D-1)? What is the best practice recommended?

Attencipanting my apologizes for my inglês. Thanks for attention.

• 2.  Re: Questions about Dashboard and Analysis Tools
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2016 12:46 PM

Hi Alex, 

Great question!  Let me provide you with some answers here...Xtraction is certainly the best tool for "dashboards" in the sense of real-time data that can be viewed at any time, or even viewed on larger screens as a rotating leader-board status of sorts.   Xtraction can be run against the production DB or an offline reporting instance of the db.  We have many customers running it directly against production as the queries are pretty clean, and only a few folks have access to be able to create dashboards in it, so the db overhead is not a lot.     Now the other option you have is to use CABI (CA Business Intelligence), in which we recently transitioned the engine from SAP Business Objects (BOXI), to Tibco's Jasper Reports Server as our main reporting engine that we deliver with the product.  CABI 6.2 is the current version, and uses Jasper Reports Server 6.2.  We do provide several reports out of the box with the product as well. You can use Jasper Studio to create dashboards and reports, which are then viewable using the Jasper Reports web portal.   So, which one to go with ... the golden question... The truth is that many customers are using both.  CABI is a full blown reporting engine, in which most customers run against a "reporting instance" of the database (which we have documented steps to configure offline reporting).   Then they use Xtraction against the live prod database to be able to view dashboards in real-time.   We ship CABI Jasper with our product, but Xtraction is sold through CA as an add-on product to work with our Service Management products.   

I hope this helps you to get an understanding of the different options and recommended practices in configuring them.

Please let me know if you have further questions that I can answer for you!

Regards,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Questions about Dashboard and Analysis Tools

Posted Aug 26, 2016 02:23 PM

Hello Jon.

Thank you for your answer.

Hello Jon.

Thank you for your answers.

It was clear to me. I will study the better option according the cost and benefits relations for my company.

We have two big issues: Build reports to help the Service Desk's Operation (e.g. monitoring SLA's) and Publish dashboards for our customers about (SLA's, Incident Categories, time, effort spent, etc.)

in this case, we intend to use only a tool to coverage both.