CA Service Management

• 1.  SDM Upgrade - Datailed Checklist

Posted Aug 29, 2016 07:24 PM

Hello

Does eanyone have a detailed cheklist of all steps to be verified in a migration of SDM?

We are migrating from 12.7 to 14.1, and already have the general steps (swing box, DB verification, etc) just in case of we are missing something.

The lowest level of steps, the better.

thanks in advance and my best regards

Michel

• 2.  Re: SDM Upgrade - Datailed Checklist

Posted Aug 30, 2016 09:50 AM

Hi Michel,

We dont have any type of checklist specifically, but as you mentioned you already have the documentation for the swing box, and db verification which are the two most important parts.  I would recommend that you read through the entire section in the documentation regarding the upgrade and migration process as it has some very important notes throughout the section.  The following are the sections that I would recommend reading:

Hardware and Server Requirements - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Step 1 - Identify your Installation or Upgrade Scenario - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Step1: Plan the CA SDM Upgrades - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Step 2: Use the CA SDM Migration Console - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Step 3: Perform Post Upgrade Configuration - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Lastly, I would highly recommend putting CP3 in place as part of your upgrade so that you will be on the latest version of the product.  This way when fixes and/or maintenance packs are released, you will be able to apply them right away without having to first go to CP3, then apply the fixes.  This will save you a lot of headache in the future!

Aside from that, there isnt much more to know.  The best advice I can give at this point would be to test it multiple times, and keep notes on your steps each time you test the upgrade/migration process.  This way once you have it fully documented and can run through it wtihout any hiccups, you have a much better chance of everything being successful on your actual migration day.  Additionally, during your testing phases, its best to come up with a full list of use-cases (usually your analysts would be the best resources to do this as they use the product all day every day) so that the new version can be fully tested by your analysts prior to planning your prod upgrade date.  Once you confirm everything works, and you have all the proper steps documented, you can plan a date for doing the upgrade in production.

Hope this helps,
    Jon I.