DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Is there a way to filter specific alarm messages before they are processed by the snmpgtw probe?

Posted Aug 30, 2016 02:52 PM

We have a need to filter out specific alarms that we do not want forwarded to our Spectrum environment. What I have attempted to do to address this is to create a queue with s a subject specific to these messages on our primary hub. I then created a auto-operator profile that, "reposts" these messages with a subject matching the new queue.

The auto-operator profile and queue appear to be functioning correctly as I can see messaging build up in the queue. Our problem is that these messages are still being processed by the snmpgtw probe and are still being forwarded to Spectrum.

Is there any way to filter specific alarm messages out prior to them being processed by the snmpgtw probe? Or any other way of filtering these messages out so they do not get forwarded to Spectrum?

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to filter specific alarm messages before they are processed by the snmpgtw probe?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2016 03:42 PM

You should be able to do this by configuring AutoOperator (AO) profiles in your nas with an action of repost and a new subject ID.  This action causes the nas to retransmit the alarm message under another subject ID.  You would then configure the snmpgtw probe to subscribe to this new subject ID instead of alarm.  This way, only the alarms that you filter through your repost AO profiles will be processed by the snmpgtw probe.

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to filter specific alarm messages before they are processed by the snmpgtw probe?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2016 03:52 PM

Hi the SNMPgtw probe on the setup tab has a subject line.

You should be able to change this to just be your new alarm subject and this should prevent it from sending all alarms.

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to filter specific alarm messages before they are processed by the snmpgtw probe?

Posted Aug 30, 2016 04:12 PM

Thanks for your reply. I believe this is what I have setup now but am not getting the results I need. I currently have an AO profile setup to repost these messages under a different subject in hopes of "renaming" the subject of those specific messages so that they are not processed by the snmpgtw probe (which is subscribed to the alarm subject).

Instead of effectively renaming the subject of those specific messages, the repost function appears to just be creating a new message or a copy and posting it under the new subject. The original message still gets processed by the snmpgtw probe and forwarded to Spectrum, which is what we are trying to stop.

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to filter specific alarm messages before they are processed by the snmpgtw probe?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2016 06:58 PM

You have the first part right - setting up the AO profile to repost the alarms that you want forwarded to Spectrum using a new subject.  The second part is to reconfigure the snmpgtw probe and remove the alarm subject and replace it with the new subject you specified in your AO profile so that the probe will subscribe to receive messages with the subject you defined in your AO repost profile and not receive the alarm messages.  By default the snmpgtw probe is configured to subscribe to "alarm" messages.  You need to replace that with your new subject.

• 6.  Re: Is there a way to filter specific alarm messages before they are processed by the snmpgtw probe?

Posted Aug 30, 2016 07:29 PM

In our situation we want the majority of alarm messages to get forwarded to Spectrum, there are only a small number of particular alarm messages that we don't want to get forwarded to Spectrum. Hence the AO profile I put in place reposts only the alarm messages we DON'T want to get forwarded to Spectrum. Since the repost has changed the subject of the unneeded messages, shouldn't the snmpgtw probe ignore them now that they don't have the subject, "alarm"?

• 7.  Re: Is there a way to filter specific alarm messages before they are processed by the snmpgtw probe?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 08:36 AM

Unfortunately, the original alarm is posted by the probes with a subject of alarm and since you have the snmpgtw probe configured to receive "alarm" messages they go to both the nas and the snmpgtw probe.  You will have to redefine your AO profile to repost the alarms you want sent to Spectrum reposting them with a new subject, then configure the snmpgtw probe to subscribe to this new subject.

• 8.  Re: Is there a way to filter specific alarm messages before they are processed by the snmpgtw probe?

Posted Aug 31, 2016 04:10 PM

Aha! I was approaching it from the opposite angle. I'm currently testing what you suggested and it looks like we are getting the results we need. I really appreciate your help with this, you've gotten me past a major roadblock.