Service Virtualization

• 1.  Has anyone created VSI from EDI Req/Res pair, we have to use EDI x12 Data protocol here

Posted Sep 02, 2016 07:01 AM

HI,

I am trying to create a VSI from EDI Req/res pair, but i am getting below error

"Please select req/res Directory which contains atleast one req/res pair".Although the pair is present in folder.

I have multiple req/res pair and latest i came to know is each req/res pair has to be in proper format and naming convention so that Lisa can understand it.

So, can i get a link where proper naming conventions and format is provided.

From where can i get more information for EDI.

Thanks

Aamair

• 2.  Re: Has anyone created VSI from EDI Req/Res pair, we have to use EDI x12 Data protocol here

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 02, 2016 09:07 AM

• 3.  Re: Has anyone created VSI from EDI Req/Res pair, we have to use EDI x12 Data protocol here

Posted Sep 07, 2016 02:55 PM

With regard to EDI parsing into a VSI, DevTest has an EDI DPH that you can select.  

If your desire is to parse the EDI data into a different incoming request argument list from the OOTB version of the DPH, you will need to develop a custom DPH to create the argument list the way you want to see it.  I believe BerryWorks software has some EDI reader / parser classes.

• 4.  Re: Has anyone created VSI from EDI Req/Res pair, we have to use EDI x12 Data protocol here

Posted Sep 12, 2016 09:06 AM

Follow-up since the question has not been marked by the OP as answered.

EDI transaction formats follow an industry standard so the format of the actual EDI input transaction should follow that standard.  A partial sample of what an EDI transaction might look like is:

ISA*00*          *00*          *ZZ*MEDDATA        *ZZ*MEDDATA ....~  

To get the above into an input request that DevTest can recognize, you need to know how the system under test is sending the data.  Suppose for example that the EDI data is wrapped in an XML element as part of a Webservice or REST call. 

You might need to use a Request Data Manager to marshal the EDI transaction value into the request body so it can be recognized by DevTest.  

Assume for a moment that the R/R pairs contain the EDI transaction within a <Payload> element in the XML.  For example,

<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" xmlns:u="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd">
      <s:Header>
        <o:Security ....</o:Security>
      </s:Header>
      <s:Body>
        <Payload xmlns="">ISA*00* *00* *ZZ*MEDDATA *ZZ*MEDDATA....</Payload>
      </s:Body>
    </s:Envelope>

In the above example, set up your R/R pairs according to the input format sent by the system under test.  

Use one of the XML parsing DPHs (such as SOAP or XML) to create a request argument list.  

ADD an RDM DPH and include an instruction to copy the 'Payload' element (Argument) value into the Request Body.

ADD the EDI DPH after the RDM DPH to parse the actual EDI transaction into the list of arguments.

Note:  You can also use the RDM DPH to remove unwanted arguments if they are not required.