DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Default type of alarm CDM probe - "Device:... "

Posted Sep 06, 2016 11:28 AM

Hi,

When we apply CDM probe, specially for AIX, it seems that cdm probe starts to monitor hardware disks. Eg, when a physical disk device is removed from the server, a default alarm appears, like: "Device: hdisk20 is not avaiable". Verify screenshot below:

device

My main problem is that there are some servers and who have this kind of pattern, like it removes and inserts physical discs and this creates alarms and raise the number of alarms.

Is there a way to not have this type of alarms? Any suggestions?

Regards,

Nelson

• 2.  Re: Default type of alarm CDM probe - "Device:... "

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 06, 2016 06:29 PM

If you create a Maintenance Schedule for the servers, Critical, Major, Minor and Warning alarms do not display in USM. 

See the following documents for more details.

Create and Manage Groups in USM - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.4 - CA Technologies Documentation 

maintenance_mode (Maintenance Mode) - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 3.  Re: Default type of alarm CDM probe - "Device:... "

Posted Oct 06, 2016 11:14 AM

Hi David.

I don't have the exactly time that the server changes the disks devices then I can't schedule a maintenance. It is a regular behavior from a specifc software.This software changes (add and remove) disks random.

But, I checked and I found that this type of alarms ("Device: ..... ") is from I/O checkpoint. Then I have to desable this checpoint (I/O disk).

Regards,

Nelson

• 4.  Re: Default type of alarm CDM probe - "Device:... "

Posted Sep 06, 2016 08:33 PM

Below are few options you can explore 

In the CDM probe navigate to the Status tab right-click in the Disk usage section and select Modify Default Disk Parameters to open the Fixed Disk Properties dialog. Deselect Active in the Present tab which disables the disk missing alerts and to apply the default parameters to all disks. 

Another option is to use the "Ignore Filesystems" option in Disk properties section. You can use a regular expression to exclude the directories from monitoring

You can also try using a pre-processing rule to suppress these alarms it it has a specific pattern 

• 5.  Re: Default type of alarm CDM probe - "Device:... "

Posted Sep 08, 2016 11:26 AM

Hi Phani.Devulapalli, thank you for your time.

I have explored both suggestions you mentioned: "Ignore Filesystems" with regular explression and I have explored unselected the option "Active" into the Fixed Disk Properties dialog.

But the problem is: both suggestion works with NO physical disks (just file system). I have to have the same options to PHYSICAL disks.

It is a cdm default beheavior.

Regards,

Nelson

• 6.  Re: Default type of alarm CDM probe - "Device:... "

Posted Oct 06, 2016 11:15 AM

I checked and I found that this type of alarms ("Device: ..... ") is from I/O checkpoint. Then I have to desable this checpoint (I/O disk).

Regards,

Nelson