Service Virtualization

• 1.  How can I run multiple VSE services on a single server

Posted Sep 06, 2016 02:32 PM

Hello everyone,

I am looking to run multiple VSE services on a single server to restrict user access to virtual services.  I can do it by running the VSE as a process, but would much rather have it run as a service.

An added bonus would be how to set up different labs as well so I can establish a hierarchy.  Again, I can do this as a process, but would rather have it run as a service.

Currently we are running DevTest version 9.1.

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  Re: How can I run multiple VSE services on a single server
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 06, 2016 03:28 PM

To Create multiple VSE services on same machine:

Copy VirtualServiceEnvironmentService to VirtualServiceEnvironmentService2

You will then create a new vmoptions file called VirtualServiceEnvironmentService2.vmoptions and put the properties below in the file.

-Dlisa.vseName=VSE2 (Or a name you would like to call your VSE to distinguish it from others on the same machine)
    -Dlisa.net.8.port=20132 (Whatever port you need to use for this new VSE, needs to use a different port than 2013)
    -DLISA_LOG=vse2.log (to distinguish between the vse log files)

Repeat for each additional VSE service you want to have.

Stop and start the DevTest Components.

• 3.  Re: How can I run multiple VSE services on a single server

Posted Sep 07, 2016 10:31 AM

Hi Marcy,

Thanks for your response.  I followed your directions, but restarting the services did not cause the second VSE to start.  I added the service by using the following command:

sc create "DevTest VSE2" binpath="D:\CA\DevTest\9.1.0\bin\VirtualServiceEnvironmentService2.exe"

After adding the service I was able to get the second VSE to start

Is that the correct way to define the service or is there a better method?

Also, is it possible to define the lab the VSE is defined to in the .vmoptions file?  Something similar to the --labName argument used for the VirtualServiceEnvironment.exe command?

Thanks.

• 4.  Re: How can I run multiple VSE services on a single server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 07, 2016 10:37 AM

Yes, I have used the sc command to register a process as a service under Windows & the command you specified looks good.

I have no experience of using labName argument

• 5.  Re: How can I run multiple VSE services on a single server

Posted Sep 07, 2016 12:49 PM

Hi Prem,

I hope things are going well.

I found how to create the 2nd lab.  When defining the service you need to use the -l option.  ex:

sc create "DevTest VSE2" binpath="D:\CA\DevTest\9.1.0\bin\VirtualServiceEnvironmentService2.exe -l Lab2"

I'd be interested to know if there is a way to do this from the .vmoptions file instead.

• 6.  Re: How can I run multiple VSE services on a single server

Posted Sep 08, 2016 09:38 AM

For vmoptions you can add the VirtualServiceEnvironmentService2.exe.vmoptions in $LISA_HOME/bin directoy 

• 7.  Re: How can I run multiple VSE services on a single server

Posted Sep 08, 2016 05:15 AM

Hi,

Do we have any limit on creating multiple VSE Services.

Thanks

Jaya

• 8.  Re: How can I run multiple VSE services on a single server

Posted Sep 08, 2016 09:51 AM

Yes , The limitation is based on available hardware on the server machine,  For the VSE to run minimum hardware required is 2 CPU's and 4GB RAM and it supports up to 250 TPS.   So based on the available hardware and your TPS requirements you have determine the amount of hardware that should be allocated to each instance of VSE and the total number of instances of VSE's you can run on the Server machine. 

• 9.  Re: How can I run multiple VSE services on a single server

Posted Jul 26, 2017 10:13 AM

Hi Marcy,

Is there any setting to do on the Registry server to accept VSE connection on network ports which are different from 2013 default VSE network port ?