CA Service Management

• 1.  update mdb data in lab environment

Posted Sep 07, 2016 11:22 AM

Hi, we have version 14.1.01 in our productive environment and in our lab is version 14.1.02 running. What is the best practice to update the data in the mdb without loosing the configuration? Thanks.

• 2.  Re: update mdb data in lab environment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 07, 2016 12:28 PM

Hi Carsten,

I find it difficult to understand which database are you referring here i.e. 14.1.01 or 14.1.02?

Assuming that you are looking to replace the MDB on 14.1.02 server via SQL tools with that of 14.1.01 then definitely you would end up loosing the configurations that were performed on 14.1.02.

Let me know if I have understood this right?

• 3.  Re: update mdb data in lab environment

Posted Sep 08, 2016 03:26 AM

Hi Maheshwar,

I would like to replace the mdb from 14.1.02 server with the mdb of 14.1.1 with SQL and I´m searching for the configuration tables, so I can ignore them as I need the up to date ticket data.

The setup of the lab was done half a year ago. We tested the update installation of 14.1.02 there. Now we want to use up to date data, upgrade to 14.1.03 and start a beta phase.

Afterwards we want to upgrade the productive environment from 14.1.02 to 14.1.03.

Hopefully this gives a clear picture.

Carsten

• 4.  Re: update mdb data in lab environment

Posted Sep 07, 2016 03:42 PM

Hi Carsten,

When you talk about "configurations" - are you referring to the updates that are done to the MDB when you applied CP2?  OR are you talking about other configurations?  Please give us some specifics.

As a best practice, its always best to copy an MDB between environments only when they are at the same patch level (especially for cumulative patches).  

In this case, if you wanted to refresh the data on the test system from prod, what you would want to do is restore the prod db on the test environment, then re-run the cp2 installer on the test environment to ensure that the proper MDB updates are made.  Then perform the post steps which include some data loads, which would need to be done as well.

Hope this helps a bit,

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: update mdb data in lab environment

Posted Sep 08, 2016 03:26 AM

Hi Jon,

I would like to replace the mdb from 14.1.02 server with the mdb of 14.1.1 with SQL and I´m searching for the configuration tables, so I can ignore them as I need the up to date ticket data.

The setup of the lab was done half a year ago. We tested the update installation of 14.1.02 there. Now we want to use up to date data, upgrade to 14.1.03 and start a beta phase.

Afterwards we want to upgrade the productive environment from 14.1.02 to 14.1.03.

Hopefully this gives a clear picture.

Carsten

• 6.  Re: update mdb data in lab environment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 08, 2016 06:34 AM

Hi Carsten,

When you restore an exiting PROD DB to a TEST Environment, it surely will replace the database with that of PROD data and no data related to Test environment will be related in this case. You need to reconfigure the environment to reflect as TEST environment and you can consider this as a fresh environment for patching for 14.1.02.

Hope this keeps you plan further.

MK.

• 7.  Re: update mdb data in lab environment

Posted Sep 08, 2016 08:48 AM

Hi Maheshwar,

I think you got it wrong. I know when I restore the whole mdb that I need do configure it again. I´m trying to find a way to get just the ticket data into the lab, as it´s working for the moment and has an integration with PAM and Service Catalog.

So there´s no way tho save the time for reconfiguration?

Thanks,

Carsten