AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to map generic policies with the GMU

Question asked by Albertwaninge on Sep 8, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 by Albertwaninge

We are working on the migration of some services that rely on generic policies using the GMU. Those generic policies are available on both environments, having the same contents, having the same name and having the same path. The only difference is their ID. 

This causes me some headache with the GMU. Mapping these entities using the option --targetName does not work as the GMU reports that it cannot find the targets. Explicitly describing their names (either including and excluding the path) makes no difference.

The only thing I can find that makes the GMU successfully migrate them to the target Gateway is by mapping to their targetId. (And besides, I have to explicitly ignore the parent folders of the generic policies, otherwise the GMU reports that it can't find those entities in the bundle.)

We - and our customer - are not satisfied with this solution, as we will have to repeat this migration from the acceptance to the production environment and we feel that we should not be entering the id's of the generic policies on the production environment in the migration script again.

Am I missing an option of the GMU that does allow me to properly (and automatically) map the generic policies? Preferably also without having to explicitly ignore their parent folders?

Or should we use calls to the restman service on the target gateway in our migration script to automate the search for the target id's?

Outcomes