Clarity

• 1.  Deactivating or deleting custom attributes

Posted Sep 09, 2016 11:34 AM

Looking at the documentation (of 14.4) at Studio Objects and Attributes under Prerequisites for Custom Object Development. It says

Verify that the attributes you create meet the needs of your users. After you create an attribute, you cannot remove it from the object. You can only deactivate it. The number of attributes affects the amount of time it takes to display pages. Do not create more attributes than you need.

Is that really so?

I just selected deleted a custom attribute for the project object in 13.3 and hit delete. After that there was no sign of it anywhere.

The other thing is I deactivated another and was kinda surprised to see that it remained in the list of active attributes and also in the edit property view and project list filter.

• 2.  Re: Deactivating or deleting custom attributes

Posted Sep 09, 2016 04:22 PM

As far as I know you can in fact delete a custom attribute. I have done it several times before. I've also deactivated attributes successfully. I suppose there could be some sort of restriction on deleting/deactivating attributes if you set them as required?

You cannot delete items in a custom lookup list - you can only deactivate those.

• 3.  Re: Deactivating or deleting custom attributes

Posted Sep 20, 2016 02:49 AM

Thank you amy.yarrington 

Maybe  John_George or somebody else will confirm if that is an error in documentation.

• 4.  Re: Deactivating or deleting custom attributes

Posted Sep 20, 2016 03:50 AM

Up to v7.5.x we could not delete custom attributes, after v8 we could ; so agree documentation is (very) out of date! (or at best, misleading).

• 5.  Re: Deactivating or deleting custom attributes
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 20, 2016 08:43 AM

Thank you urmas for bringing this to our attention. I'm tagging CA-TECH-INFO-DAMON in this discussion since he is our documentation SME for Studio.

- John 

• 6.  Re: Deactivating or deleting custom attributes

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2016 08:49 AM

Thank you for letting us know. We confirmed on our end here and removed the following line from the CA PPM Studio documentation since it was no longer accurate:

After you create an attribute, you cannot remove it from the object. You can only deactivate it.