DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Probe and port limitation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2016 03:24 AM

Hi,

We developed two probes and deployed to UIM. Let's call them probe1 and probe2.

If I activate probe1, it can get address and port correctly. Now keep the probe1 running there, if I activate probe2, it can't get address and port. But if I deactivate probe1 and re-activate probe2, probe2 can get address and port.

Now if I deactivate 2 of other existing probes and activate probe1 and probe2, both probe1 and probe2 can get address and port.

So it seems there is probe number limitation. Can anyone suggest if there is probe or port limitation in one robot/hub? How to solve the issue?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Probe and port limitation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2016 09:07 AM

I do not know of any port / probe limitation.

I would try setting the controller loglevel to 3 or 5 and set the logsize to 10000 and see if you can capture some information around what is causing an issue.

I would also try setting the first_probe_port = 48000 in the robot.cfg and see if that helps

Last if there is a local firewall make sure you disable that for testing to see if that helps.

I have literally seen robots with some 40+ probes on them...

• 3.  Re: Probe and port limitation

Posted Sep 14, 2016 11:21 AM

How many probes are you currently running on the robot/hub?

Have you tried running the developed probes on a different robot/hub as a test?

Could it be possible that the probes are trying to access the same resource?

• 4.  Re: Probe and port limitation

Posted Sep 15, 2016 07:39 PM

Are you manually setting the ports in the code? What language SDK are you using? Can you share the probe startup code? I have developed many probes and never ran into this issue. 

• 5.  Re: Probe and port limitation

Posted Sep 16, 2016 12:26 AM

Hi Bryan ,

i don't setting manual port the probe in my code ,I'm using java language . which code you mean?

because if i deactivated the other probe the probe1 will get  port and address

• 6.  Re: Probe and port limitation

Posted Sep 16, 2016 12:47 AM

Basically how are you starting the probe up in the code. The following is how I start mine.

public class ProbeMain {
        private NimProbe nimProbe;
        static private NimLog logger = NimLog.getLogger(ProbeMain.class);

public static final  String PROBE_NAME = "configuration_archive";
        public static final  String PROBE_VERSION = "1.00";
        public static final  String PROBE_VENDOR = "CA Technologies";

public static void main(final String[] args) {
            try {
               ProbeMain pm = new ProbeMain(args);
               pm.executeUntilHalt();
            } catch (final Exception e) {
                logger.fatal(e.getMessage());
            }
        }

public ProbeMain(final String[] args)throws NimException{
            // do one time initialization here
            nimProbe = new NimProbe(PROBE_NAME, PROBE_VERSION, PROBE_VENDOR, args);

}

private void executeUntilHalt() throws NimException{
            do {
                 //nimProbe.registerCallback(this, "replace_probe_configuration",  "replaceProbeConfiguration", new String[] { "hub", "robot", "probe" });
                 nimProbe.registerCallback(this, "query_single_configuration",  "querySingleConfiguration", new String[] { "hub", "robot", "probe" });
                 nimProbe.registerCallback(this, "truncate_archive_table", "truncateArchive");
                 nimProbe.registerCallback(this, "rebuild_configuration_database",   "rebuildConfigurationDatabase");
            } while (nimProbe.doForever());
        }

• 7.  Re: Probe and port limitation

Posted Sep 16, 2016 01:22 AM

here's the code

our code is working if the other probe i deactivate , total probe running for now about 73 probes, 

• 8.  Re: Probe and port limitation

Posted Sep 16, 2016 12:29 AM

Hi NimBoss,
    the probe running on the robot its about 73 probes.
    every my probes are access to different resource,

it will work if i deactivated the other probe .

i have not tried  to other robot

• 9.  Re: Probe and port limitation

Posted Sep 16, 2016 06:00 AM

And if you deactivate one of the other 73 probes will both new probes work?

• 10.  Re: Probe and port limitation

Posted Sep 16, 2016 11:18 AM

Did you check the controller log as recommended by Gene?

controller manages the startup of probes including finding the next available port.

As a side note, if these probes are generating a lot of messages it may be necessary to convert this robot into a hub since as a robot it may not be able to handle the volume generated by that many probes.