Clarity

• 1.  How dependencies works in Clarity Projects and can we customize it.

Posted Sep 15, 2016 05:09 AM

Hi All,

How project dependencies work in between Clarity Projects. Dependencies navigation as Clarity – Home – Projects – Properties – Dependencies  

I wanted to know if I will add a project as 'Investments that depends on this one' then what will be the impact/changes on each Projects.

Similarly after adding Projects as 'Investments this one depends on' then what all fields get changed?

And the important thing that I wanted to know, Can we customize this page

I wanted to add few field while creating dependencies like why this dependencies raised, what we can do to minimize dependencies, what will be the impact and so on....

I will appreciate any kind of support on this.

Thanks,

Prakash

• 2.  Re: How dependencies works in Clarity Projects and can we customize it.

Posted Sep 15, 2016 05:14 AM

Project dependencies are to do with portfolio management rather than project management.

If you want intra-project dependencies then task dependencies (task in one project is dependant upon a task/milestone in another project) are what you should be using.

• 3.  Re: How dependencies works in Clarity Projects and can we customize it.

Posted Sep 15, 2016 06:30 AM

What a coincidence , while preparing the "Learn PPM with Rego" series (which will be posted tomorrow ), I picked this topic. Here's the response from (and thanks to ) Michael Meyers (Rego Consulting):

1. “Before the rewrite of Portfolio Mgmt in v13, you could use project dependencies in scenarios to select investments based on dependencies. For example, If your scenario selects project A, but it is dependent on project B, the project B must also be selected. But with the rewrite, unfortunately CA removed this logic, and it cannot easily (short of a custom portlet or report) be put back in.  So now project dependencies serve no useful purpose, except that you can include this logic in portlets and reports.”

1. “It is my understanding was that it simply provides a link for 'reporting' purposes, so you can see if a project is dependent on another, but it doesn't impact the schedule if that link is made.”

1. Several Rego folks have had custom built Project Dependency Portlet (thank you Sara G. and Patrick F).

Regards

NJ

• 4.  Re: How dependencies works in Clarity Projects and can we customize it.

Posted Sep 19, 2016 10:25 AM

Hi NJ,

Could you please share the link  of "Learn PPM with Rego" , if that documents having more details on dependencies.

Thanks,

Prakash

• 5.  Re: How dependencies works in Clarity Projects and can we customize it.

Posted Sep 19, 2016 01:35 PM

Here's the link where the CA PPM community docs are placed:

CA PPM