CA Service Management

• 1.  SDM 14.1 with SQL server 2012 on different server

Posted Sep 15, 2016 05:14 AM

I am installing CA SDM 14.1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 and have SQL 2012 as the database on another separate server. In other words, the application and DB are being installed on different machine?  then I run into issues of (sqlserver client sqlcmd is either not installed or is not set in the path environment  var). I made research online and saw a post in ca community that says: I have to install the SQL 2012 client on the application server, which will enable SDM to communicate with the SQL Server. So I want to know, is a must for me to have both application and database on the same server? Because I want to have both of them on separate server. I need maximum inputs.

Thanks and Regards, Amosu

• 2.  Re: SDM 14.1 with SQL server 2012 on different server

Posted Sep 15, 2016 07:56 AM

Hi Amosu,

You do not need to put the db on the same server as SDM - in fact, we recommend that they are separate.  What you need to do is install the SQL 2012 client on the SDM server - including the connectivity, and SQL Tools (you will want to have SQL Mgt Studio available there).  That will allow SDM to connect to the remote SQL database.

Hope this helps

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: SDM 14.1 with SQL server 2012 on different server

Posted Sep 15, 2016 07:57 AM

Hi Amosu,

Service Desk and the MDB can reside on different servers. You are not forced to install everything on the same server.

Kind Regards,

Brian