Layer7 API Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Checking port connectivity from the appliance gateway without telnet

• 1.  Checking port connectivity from the appliance gateway without telnet

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 15, 2016 01:06 PM

Hello APIM community!

Very often customers ask me about how to test port connectivity, from the appliance gateway, without having to install the telnet client. That's an interesting question. You can use the Linux bash to do that for you without having to install anything. This is how you do it:

# cat < /dev/tcp/172.16.10.11/22

The previous command will check the port 22, running on the host 172.16.10.11 using TCP as the protocol. You could use UDP as well, just changing /tcp/ to /udp/. You will see something like that, as the result, if that port is opened on that host:

SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.1

I hope this quick tip can help you and save some time.

• 2.  Re: Checking port connectivity from the appliance gateway without telnet

Posted Sep 16, 2016 09:00 AM

+1 thanks for posting this!

• 3.  Re: Checking port connectivity from the appliance gateway without telnet

Posted Sep 18, 2016 08:50 AM

Hi, I'm using curl -v telnet://IP_ADRESS:port

Works like a charm

• 4.  Re: Checking port connectivity from the appliance gateway without telnet

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 25, 2016 10:39 PM

• 5.  Re: Checking port connectivity from the appliance gateway without telnet

Posted Sep 26, 2016 05:40 AM

I have a Service Policy 'ConnectionTest' which we service on the management interface. It uses 'Return Template Response to Requestor' assertion and 'Route via HTTP/RAW' assertions to send a request to a submittable destination. 

Allso very handy!