IDMS

• 1.  DC-BATCH deadlock management not working

Posted Sep 16, 2016 02:17 PM

Trying to manage DC-BATCH to reattempt its updates after incurring a deadlock abend.  

Program starts successfully with BIND TASK statement, does some GET QUEUE commands and does a COMMIT TASK.  Then does a BIND RUN-UNIT, BIND recs/ready areas and starts update process.  I've written code to redo the BIND/READY stuff after incurring an xx29 abend but program fails when attempting to perform the final PUT QUEUE commands (xx77 or xx69 abends) .  If I follow the xx29 abend with a BIND TASK, that fails on a 5077 abend. 

It seems that I'm unable to continue to do DC-BATCH queue management stuff after the IDMS abend regardless of whether I start with a BIND TASK or QUEUE commands!...

• 2.  Re: DC-BATCH deadlock management not working

Posted Sep 18, 2016 10:48 PM

I'm wondering if there is still a Task associated with Subschema-Ctrl - even though the Run Unit has been aborted with the nn29 - so there may be some untidiness in trying to reuse the Subschema-Ctrl area? I wonder if a FINISH TASK (ignore non-zero return code) -  and then the BIND/READY sequence might effect a more complete clean up of the environment?

Just a thought - HTH - cheers - Gary

• 3.  Re: DC-BATCH deadlock management not working

Posted Sep 19, 2016 05:45 AM

It has been a while since I have been in the task management/DBMS code so Support, correct me if I am wrong, but when the xx29 occurs, DBMS will abend the task. This would include the DC related task created by the BIND TASK. In the off chance I am incorrect, I would suggest that when you receive you xx29 error status, that you issue a ROLLBACK TASK, initialize the subschema control block to what it was before your program ever issues a DML verb and then restart you process from the top, BIND TASK, BIND RUNUNIT, etc.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

Charles (Chuck) Hardee<mailto:Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com>

Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration

EAS Information Technology<mailto:DBA%20Engineering%20-%20DB2_IDMS>

Thermo Fisher Scientific

300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275

Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230

Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com<mailto:Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com>  | www.thermofisher.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete all copies.