IDMS

• 1.  Sample Cobol Stored Procedure

Posted Sep 16, 2016 12:54 PM

We are using an SQL schema to access network database (No SQL tables are involved). We created a stored procedure (NOT Table stored procedure) that calls a COBOL DC program. The COBOL program does network DML calls and returns the results back to the stored procedure. The stored procedure is called by a Java program running on JBOSS server using JDBC drivers. We have used the sample programs in the books to get us here. We will appreciate if someone can share the following with us:

1. Techniques used to pass errors back from the COBOL program to the Java client. Are there any system level variables that can be leveraged ?

2. A Sample Stored Procedure definition and the called COBOL program. Again, we have used what is in books but will appreciate if someone can share a little more sophisticated use of features and definitions.

Thanks

Sat Pal 

• 2.  Re: Sample Cobol Stored Procedure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2016 02:55 PM

Hi Sat,

Your IDMS SQL Stored Procedure program can set the SQLSTATE of your query just like IDMS Table Procedure programs can.  The doc snippet below was taken from section entitled "Special Considerations for SQL-invoked External Routines" within the SQL Reference topic.  Note that, "SQL-invoked External Routines" includes table procedures, procedures and functions.  This section talks about error handling for sql-invoked external routines. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Error Handling

The SQL-invoked external routine has two arguments to signal an exception condition back to CA IDMS. These arguments consist of a five-character SQLSTATE code and an 80-byte message area. The following table lists valid SQLSTATE codes and their descriptions.

Value

Description

Request was successful

01Hxx

Request was successful but the SQL-invoked external routine generated a warning message

No more rows to be returned

38***

The SQL-invoked external routine has detected an error during processing

CA IDMS examines the SQLSTATE value to determine whether the operation was successful. An SQLSTATE value of 0200 indicates that all rows have been returned. It is meaningful only on a Next Row request and cannot be set while at the same time returning a row since CA IDMS ignores parameter arguments if an SQLSTATE value of 02000 is set.

If an SQLSTATE value indicates that an error or warning condition exists, CA IDMS embeds the message text returned by the SQL-invoked external routine in a standard DB message and returns it to the calling application through the message area of the SQLCA. It also translates the SQLSTATE value into one of the following SQLCODE values:

SQLSTATE Value

SQLCODE Value

01Hxx

38***

If the SQL-invoked external routine signals an error, CA IDMS automatically rolls out all database changes that the SQL-invoked external routine made while processing the SQL statement that caused the SQL-invoked external routine to be invoked. For example, if the invoking SQL statement was a searched update and ten rows had been updated before the error was detected, changes to all ten rows are rolled out automatically. Database changes made prior to the execution of the searched update statement are not rolled out.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks to Carla Pereira for providing this info...

Dave

• 3.  Re: Sample Cobol Stored Procedure

Posted Sep 19, 2016 08:42 PM

Thanks Dave and Carla.

I have a stored procedure that call a COBOL program. When I set the SQLSTATE in COBOL (Move '38100' to SQLSTATE), the stored and procedure and calling client (Java) does not receive the error. Is there some record I need to include in LINKAGE section to make this happen. In an ADS dialog, I can include ADSO-SQLPROC-COM-AREA to set the error that is then recognized by the stored procedure and calling client (Java). Is there an equivalent communication area in COBOL that needs to be included in LINKAGE section ? 

• 4.  Re: Sample Cobol Stored Procedure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2016 03:53 AM

Hi, Sat,

I can see you have a support issue on this topic. 

I have replied with some comments in that issue.

Best regards,

Ian Hill.

• 5.  Re: Sample Cobol Stored Procedure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2016 10:00 AM

Hi Sat, 

The SQLSTATE variable must be referenced in the Parameter list of your COBOL SQL Procedure Program.   Have a look at the "Calling Arguments" topic under the topic entitled "Writing an External Procedure in COBOL, PL/I or Assembler". Here's a snippet from a working COBOL Table Procedure Program...   Note that all of these procedures have the same parm list:

PROCEDURE DIVISION USING
       E-ID
       E-NAME
       E-ADDRESS
       E-ID-I
       E-NAME-I
       E-ADDRESS-I
       RESULT-IND
       SQLSTATE
       PROCEDURE-NAME
       SPECIFIC-NAME
       MESSAGE-TEXT
       SQL-COMMAND-CODE
       SQL-OP-CODE

(snip...).  

And a snippet of the LINKAGE SECTION:

LINKAGE SECTION.
       77 E-ID PIC 9(4).
       77 E-NAME PIC X(25).
       77 E-ADDRESS PIC X(46).
       77 E-ID-I PIC S9(4) COMP SYNC.
       77 E-NAME-I PIC S9(4) COMP SYNC.
       77 E-ADDRESS-I PIC S9(4) COMP SYNC.
       77 RESULT-IND PIC S9(4) COMP SYNC.
       77 SQLSTATE PIC X(5).
       77 PROCEDURE-NAME PIC X(18).
       77 SPECIFIC-NAME PIC X(8).
       77 MESSAGE-TEXT PIC X(80).
       01 SQL-COMMAND-CODE PIC S9(8) COMP SYNC.
       01 SQL-OP-CODE PIC S9(8) COMP SYNC.
          88 OPEN-SCAN VALUE +12.
          88 NEXT-ROW VALUE +16.
          88 CLOSE-SCAN VALUE +20.
          88 SUSPEND-SCAN VALUE +24.
          88 RESUME-SCAN VALUE +28.

Dave

• 6.  Re: Sample Cobol Stored Procedure

Posted Sep 20, 2016 12:12 PM

Thank you Dave. Ian updated the CA support ticket with the info as well. This is exactly what I needed.

Sat Pal