IT Process Automation

• 1.  run program operator with specfic ID

Posted Sep 21, 2016 01:58 AM

hi all, i am facing a issue of using the run program operator with specific ID, it seems like programs get started with PAM admin instead of the user i specified on the properties. not too sure if i did anything wrong when i specify the ID. 

• 2.  Re: run program operator with specfic ID

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 09:50 AM

Here is what the help says about this user id field:

• User ID
      The parameter defines the system user name under which to run the program. The user must have execute permissions on the file.
      If you leave this field blank, the default is the default user specified in the configuration settings at the category level.
      User names and passwords can be specified at the category level, or stored in named dataset variables so they can be updated centrally without changing process values.

So any value placed here should override the category level setting.  Are you sure that the user you specified here has permissions to run the program?  This user id should be surrounded by quotes, but other than that it should just work.  

Can you see that the program is running as an administrator?  Where are you seeing this?  If you can see that, you might open an issue with support so that we can look into it.

• 3.  Re: run program operator with specfic ID

Posted Sep 21, 2016 10:34 AM

Hi Andrew, i am sure sure the user has permission for the program because when i use run as the id i am able to execute the program. 

The administrator part i am not exactly sure, i want to confirm if anyone has any idea if by default padmin is used if no id is specified.

• 4.  Re: run program operator with specfic ID

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 11:02 AM

By default the orchestrator or agent will use whatever user is starting the service, most often this is set to 'Local System' which generally has a limited permissions set

Try starting the service as a specific Admin user and see if that alters the behavior.

• 5.  Re: run program operator with specfic ID

Posted Sep 22, 2016 08:40 AM

hi Micheal, 

hmm i am am doing so in order to do remote call to a target server, the User ID and Pass is the ID of the destination server. is there a way that we can specify for the specific process/workflow only? 

• 6.  Re: run program operator with specfic ID
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 09:14 AM

The documentation seems to clearly indicate that the User ID field defines the system user to run the program.   

Does whatever you need require just the users permissions, or other environmental settings?

Maybe you need to also define a Profile is there are environmental variables that are needed.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-process-automation/4-3-1/en/reference/operators-reference/operator-overview/command-execution-operators/run-program-operator

Windows
    The parameter defines the path to a batch (.bat) file in Windows that sets environment variables to run by the process.
    The variable settings that the batch file that is specified here defines are additional to any variable settings that are defined for the user profile that runs the process. If no file is specified for this option, the operator uses the settings that are defined by the Shell profile parameter set for the Windows process service.

How are you verifying the user that is being used after the instance runs?  

• 7.  Re: run program operator with specfic ID

Posted Sep 27, 2016 12:15 AM

hi Micheal, thanks for your help. when you mentioned "How are you verifying the user that is being used after the instance runs?" it got me thinkingi started up the task manager to check if the exe was running as the user id i wanted it to be running as. it was due to some other issue why the .exe fail to execute.

thanks all for your help.