DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

APM Data Population Time Check

• 1.  APM Data Population Time Check

Posted Sep 26, 2016 06:47 PM

Hi All,

So this is a kind of sanity check but, I add a few new PBDs, they haven't shown up yet. If I remember from the documentation it could take 2 hours. But, there is twist to my issue, during the time I had these put on the server, another team keep bouncing the server, in a effort to repair there issue.

As per my attach. You can see one has been added "Class_and_Events_Search" but "Find_A_Doctor" has not populated yet.

At this point it has been 4 days since I add it.

Please advise.

-George

• 2.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2016 10:13 AM

I see you have added the tracers, but where did you place the pbd?  If you placed it in hotdeploy it should pick it up quickly, not 2 hours. 

Also from your other screenshot, it looks like your agent is not reporting entirely.  Notice the nodes that are greyed out.  This indicates either the app needs to be exercised or your agent has disconnected, or possibly just reconnected and you caught it at that particular time.

• 3.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Posted Sep 27, 2016 10:28 AM

Yes, I did deploy the pbd in the hotdeploy folder.

Also I did notice that some were grayed out but I know this was caused by the bouncing of the server several times. Still I was thinking that the file structure should show up. 

This server is a QA server so people make updates and bounce it all the time.

So I am thinking if I don't see the Directory Structure I should redeploy the file (deleted and add back) or what should I do?

Thoughts?

• 4.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2016 10:53 AM

First thing I would do is check connectivity between the agent and the EM.  You should at least see frontends and backends reporting and GC Heap.  Verify the rest of the agent is reporting first.  Once you do that, then check your autoprobe log to see if they're being picked up.

Are these frontends or backends that you're tracing?

• 5.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Posted Sep 27, 2016 12:06 PM

So I just check the GC Heap and it looks good right now. but the frontend and backend are still grayed out. 

I have to get an admin to send me the logs I don't have access to the file system but, I will check them once he sends them to me.

• 6.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2016 03:17 PM

Ok and also make sure the app is exercised.  Also another test to see if your custom pbd might be creating a problem with frontends reporting is to remove the pbd and restart the agent.  Sometimes a custom tracer may affect other tracers due to the makeup of the line.

• 7.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Posted Sep 27, 2016 03:21 PM

Okay I will try and report back.

• 8.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2016 05:26 PM

Hi George :

For now, I am marking this as assumed answered since some next steps were given and you need to test them. We look forward to hearing your results

Thanks

Hal German

• 9.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 28, 2016 09:20 AM

HI George:

I am marking as answered since next steps were given and there are no further action items for Support at this time . You may post your results and follow-up questions as needed

Thanks

Hal German

• 10.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Posted Sep 28, 2016 10:36 AM

Okay Hal,

I will just post the results when I get them. But, in general if you hotdeploy data should been seen with in 2 hours is that correct?

• 11.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 28, 2016 10:43 AM

Hi George,

In general, whenever you add a pbd, it will be picked up quickly.  Now the metrics will not appear until that segment of the app is exercised.  So technically you should see it before 2 hours if those conditions are met.  Do you remember where you saw this in the documentation?  If so can you point it out?

Thanks,
    Matt

• 12.  Re: APM Data Population Time Check

Posted Sep 28, 2016 10:58 AM

I remember reading something awhile back ago. I think it had to do with if the system went off-line then came back on line. Or maybe it had something to do with the roll up into the Datastore after an outage. I can't really remember but, it was a number that stuck out for some reason, that is all. Not a big deal.

I do know that the app must be exercised as one of the criteria so I have to get someone from my testing team to do that again to see if I can make it pop.

I will post my findings when I get them.