Clarity

• 1.  CA PPM Documentation Glossary

Posted Sep 27, 2016 11:14 AM

The CA PPM writers continually work to improve the documentation content so you can be successful with your CA PPM implementation. By taking this quick survey, you have a voice to help improve the content quality. Please use this link to view the 15.1 glossary and then answer these questions. Thank you in advance for your participation.

CA PPM Glossary - 15.1

1. Do you use and refer to the Glossary?

2. If you use the glossary, please continue and answer these questions:

• What term(s) would you like to see added?
    • What term(s) would you like to see removed?
    • What term(s) need modification to clarify their meaning?

3. How else can we improve the Glossary?

4. What is your role in your organization?

5. What version of CA PPM do you have?

6. Do you use CA PPM On Premise or SaaS?

• 2.  Re: CA PPM Documentation Glossary

Posted Sep 27, 2016 02:53 PM

Thanks for reaching out to the community for input John! Chime in here folks! Your input is really helpful!

CA PPM Documentation Glossary 

• 3.  Re: CA PPM Documentation Glossary

Posted Sep 27, 2016 04:05 PM

1: My users ask me for this. We're in one of those releases where online help doesn't work. Will user be able to easily get to this via the Help link?

2: I'll add to this as they come to me.

Add:

Resource Requirement is a concept that we could use some glossary help with. Investment Role, Staff OBS, skill and Requirement Name can be modeled on an Investment's team to produce a Resource Requirement for a Resource Manager to fill.

Clarification: Overallocation? It's work to get an organization to grasp the difference between Allocation & Assignment - therefore I try to be precise in its usage. Current state in Glossary as of this writing: "...assigned more project hours..."  Is CA's official position 'assigned', or is there opportunity for Overassigned? We use the terms 'Overallocated' most often with resource managers when looking inter-investment and "Overassigned' most often with PMs when looking intra-investment (not autoscheduled by resource constraints). Also note my use of the term 'Investment'. I'd recommend scrubbing the word 'project' for 'investment' where applicable (e.g: projects have issues, investments have teams, etc).

Here's my swag at Overallocation: Overallocation occurs when a resource's cumulative Allocation is greater than their Availability for a given time period.

Note for a given time period too. A FT resource can be Allocated to 4 investments for 40 hours apiece over a 4 week period. For the 4 weeks, mathematically the resource is cool - 160 hours. *IF* in a given timeperiod the resource is 50% on 2 investments and 25% on the other too - for this given timeperiod the resource is Overallocated (150%). The same concept goes for Overassignment. I believe Workbench might use the term 'Overallocation' - but I'm throwing out here that there's opportunity to revisit and improve.

3: Easy access by rank & file users. They will expect to get here via the Help link then, once help loads clicking on a big shiny link labeled 'Glossary'.

4: PPM Platform Lead

5: CA PPM 14.3

6: On Premise

In my Overallocation example above, wouldn't it be cool if Allocation & Assignment had their definitions available as hover over tooltips?

Visuals in many of the definitions, as applicable, would be appreciated as well. Loading pattern comes to mind as well as my little 4 week example above.

• 4.  Re: CA PPM Documentation Glossary

Posted Sep 28, 2016 08:57 AM

Thanks for your feedback Rob and we'll see what we can do about clarifying and adding those entries you mentioned. If you take a look under Reference in the documentation, you'll see the Glossary is readily available. Tooltips is a great suggestion, but our platform unfortunately doesn't support what you're looking for. We'll also see what we can do about the visuals.

Other community members, please also provide your feedback. Thank you!

John

• 5.  Re: CA PPM Documentation Glossary

Posted Oct 06, 2016 05:56 PM

I need to send users links to Baseline Usage and Baseline Variance right now. My desired working process is to go to the Glossary, look up the term and send them the hyperlink with my answer.

Baseline Usage, Baseline Variance are not in the Glossary - please add.

Thanks!

• 6.  Re: CA PPM Documentation Glossary

Posted Oct 07, 2016 07:46 AM

Thanks Rob - noted.

John

• 7.  Re: CA PPM Documentation Glossary

Posted Feb 01, 2017 06:16 PM

I would like to see a definition of each of the attributes that you can put in the OWB views.