DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Reset Robot ID-UIM

Jason Allen

Jason AllenFeb 11, 2021 12:30 PM

• 1.  Reset Robot ID-UIM

Posted Sep 29, 2016 09:54 AM

Hi All,

Is there any way to reset all the robot device ID in UIM..I need to ensure that all the robots have unique device ID.

• 2.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2016 09:59 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

We have developed an automated process to detect and reset duplicate robot device ID's which might be helpful for you, please see the following article: http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec000005296.aspx 

I have also developed a custom package called niscache_clean which you could Import to your UIM archive and deploy to any robot to clear the niscache and reset its device_id simultaneously.  You could distribute this to the robots in your environment to quickly reset them.  I am attaching it to this post.

Attachment(s)

zip
    niscache_clean_1.1.zip   834 B 1 version

• 3.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2016 10:00 AM

Note: you will have to manually restart each robot if you use the niscache_clean package, it does not auto-restart them.

• 4.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Posted Sep 29, 2016 10:11 AM

Thanks...But anywhere from DB can i query the list which has duplication 

• 5.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2016 01:05 PM

Unfortunately not - when a robot has a duplicate device_id, only one robot with that ID at a time can make it into the database, and discovery_server will discard/ignore the rest or over-correlate them, so there's no reliable way to query this from the DB.

• 6.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 29, 2016 01:26 PM

Jason is correct. This information will not be found in the DB. You can however bump the Discovery Server to log level 5 and get this information. You will want to pay attention to these three log entries. 

june 30 00:09:57:493 WARN  [scanTask-4, discovery_server] 2 active robots have the same robot_device_id:  'XYZ'.
    june 30 00:09:57:493 WARN  [scanTask-4, discovery_server] Keeping robot '/domain/hubA/robotA'.  IP: '1.1.1.7'.  Created time:  '1433940170'.
    june 30 00:09:57:493 WARN  [scanTask-4, discovery_server] Ignoring robot '/domain/hubA/robotB'.  IP: '1.1.1.6'.  Created time:  '1433940170'.

• 7.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Posted Sep 30, 2016 09:47 AM

Jason   what is the difference between Ignoring duplicate robot  and Keeping duplicate robot alerts ..Now in what alerts I need to reset the device ID .I got alerts for both profiles

• 8.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 30, 2016 09:53 AM

For this purpose, there is not really a difference - the discovery_server handles this in a "first come, first served" manner - so our recommendation is to reset the device ID on robots for *both* scenarios, the "keeping" and the "ignoring".  Eventually you should no longer see either alert, and that's how you know all the robots are unique.

• 9.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Posted Sep 30, 2016 02:15 PM

I could not find the option reset _device _id in controller probe utility .

• 10.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 30, 2016 02:22 PM

This option requires enabling 'expert mode' - click on the icon that looks like some sort of gears, and a popup menu will appear.  Enable expert mode and click OK.  Then you will see some new callbacks that start with _ such as   _reset_device_id_and_restart, and _niscache_clean.

• 11.  Re: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Posted Nov 01, 2016 12:56 PM

There will any possibility where robot ID may get duplicate after reset too.I am getting alerts daily from logmon probe or there may any issue in alerting.

• 12.  RE: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 11, 2021 12:30 PM
    Edited by Jason Allen Feb 18, 2021 09:55 AM
      |   view attached
    *do not use niscache clean 2.0*

Attachment(s)

zip
    niscache_clean_2.0.zip   894 B 1 version

• 13.  RE: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 18, 2021 09:54 AM
    the niscache_clean package seems to have some issues and not work in every environment - recommend sticking with 1.1 for now.

• 14.  RE: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 18, 2021 10:23 AM
    To workaround the distribution issue/error with niscache_clean_2.0, I downgraded distsrv to 9.30 (from 9.31), and also changed the post install command under the Miscellaneous Tab in the package from:

taskkill /IM "controller.exe" /F

to

taskkill /IM "controller.exe" /T /F

Steve

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US
    ------------------------------

• 15.  RE: Reset Robot ID-UIM

Posted Feb 18, 2021 03:15 PM
    Another option is to include a tab with a controller.cfx updating the controller. When that tab is processed after the clear, the robot will restart.

Also you can run the command ( bin/pu controller _reset_device_id_and_restart ""  )  as a post install command