Clarity

• 1.  Error 505 on Custom Portlet

Posted Oct 03, 2016 03:17 PM

I am on v14.2, one of my user is experiencing an "Error 500 - Internal Server Error. The server could not retrieve the document due to server-configuration or other technical problems. Contact your site administrator." when using a custom portlet.  I have found a thread in the community (https://communities.ca.com/thread/241693258) and tries to reset the user's configuration by copying the url from one "good" user to the bad user's url after the action:, no success.  I tried it on Chrome and IE7.  I tried this because I was guessing this is caused by the filter(s) user created.

I was talking to CA Support and they suggested to re-publish the portlet, which have impact to all users so I am hesitated to re-publish.  

I would appreciate if other community members have experience similar to this could share how they get it resolved.

• 2.  Re: Error 505 on Custom Portlet

Posted Oct 04, 2016 04:40 AM

In many cases it would be good to look if there is anything helpful in the logs (Error 505 just does not tell you anything).

The alternative for "Publish" is the "Restore defaults" in the portlet configuration.

If you get the error and cannot open the portlet you cannot navigate to the configuration either.

In that case you copy the URL of the configuration page from a user that can access it.

Is that what you tried and did not work?

If that is a custom portlet the user can place another instance of it on a custom tab. That should be the default and accessible.