CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

CA SDM PDA interface

• 1.  CA SDM PDA interface

Posted Oct 06, 2016 04:59 AM

Hello community!

No secrect that CA SDM have OOTB mobile interface with form located in /pda/ folder in htmpl area,

but I really don't know how the system decides which interface should be used when customer accessing it.

For example when I log to SDM using my Android phone it displays PC version of site, but when I'm using Desktop Chrome browser in compatability mode it shows correct PDA interface:

Is anyone knows how to force redirect all mobile customers to PDA interface?

Regards,

cdtj

• 2.  Re: CA SDM PDA interface

Posted Oct 06, 2016 09:12 AM

Hi Timur,

I am a bit confused with the screenshot you show there because the screenshot appears to be from a mobile device of some sort - and so its showing the mobile interface correctly.  But that is the opposite of what you mentioned - which was that you got the mobile site on a desktop, and the desktop site on a mobile device - thus the confusion here.

As for your question, the interface is determined by the type of browser that is detected by SDM.  If it detects a mobile browser, then it will display the mobile interface.   On the android device, its possible that a browser setting is in place to "show desktop versions of sites" - which will pass the browser type to the web server as a desktop browser, so it will get the desktop interface.

Hope this helps,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: CA SDM PDA interface

Posted Oct 07, 2016 12:49 PM

It looks like he is emulating the Android web browser in Chrome, but the rest of your answer should be correct.

-Marty

• 4.  Re: CA SDM PDA interface

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 06, 2016 09:38 AM

Hi Timur -

I don't know of a way to force users to the pda interface. If there is incompatibility with the full SDM interface with the browser you are using, it will switch to the pda (plain html) interface.

If a user purposely wants to launch the pda interface and they can get to the login screen, the user can prefix their user id with pda: (e.g.  pda:<userid>).

Carol

• 5.  Re: CA SDM PDA interface

Posted Oct 06, 2016 03:14 PM

In theory everything should be fine...
    Until today I really thought that PDA mode in 12.7 is bounded solution for tablets and shouldn't work with phones, because when I tried to reach SDM site using Android phone with Google Chrome I got on desktop version (force desktop version setting were off), I asked collegue to do the same on his iphone and result was the same.
    But today I have tried to check the web-site using Chrome's compatability mode and was a bit confused when I found myself on mobile site...

To present desktop browser as mobile, you need to hit F12, then switch mode (1) and select device (2):

Thanks Carol for your suggestion, but I think that our customers won't use this workaround due to their lazyness...

PS: How it looks on mobile:

Best regards,

cdtj

• 6.  Re: CA SDM PDA interface

Posted Oct 06, 2016 04:17 PM

Have found workaround, adding +PDA=Yes to url redirecting to mobile interface, for example:

pdmweb.exe?OP=SEARCH+FACTORY=cr+QBE.EQ.id=12345+PDA=Yes

will open search for request with id 12345 in PDA style.

• 7.  Re: CA SDM PDA interface

Posted Oct 07, 2016 04:29 AM

As Jon_Israel mentioned, the SDM decides based on a list of 'supported browsers' if the PDA interface is displayed or not. The check is performed using the User-Agent string sent by the browser and it's in the 'browser.js' JavaScript file - you can inspect that file to determine how an User-Agent is treated by SDM (i.e. is it capable of showing the desktop interface or not).

• 8.  Re: CA SDM PDA interface

Posted Oct 07, 2016 04:58 AM

I have checked but browser.js isn't using in PDA interface

I added alert into it and it showing only when I login in desktop version,

I found that HTTP_USER_AGENT mentoined in pdmweb.exe file so I thought that I can't affect on interface initialization, but work around with URL param works well, the only thing left is to write my own conidtion and then perform redirection to PDA version from initial interface form (menu_frames_role.htmpl)...

Regrads,

cdtj

• 9.  Re: CA SDM PDA interface

Posted Oct 07, 2016 05:46 AM

In menu_frames_role.htmpl, the browser object produced by browser.js is checked and the redirection to the PDA version is performed accordingly. This explains how the SDM decides which interface is used, after this decision is made, the PDA interface is displayed, which does not contain any JS files (if I'm not mistaking), because the PDA is assumed to be a 'dumb' browser, without any usable JS support.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

• 10.  Re: CA SDM PDA interface

Posted Oct 07, 2016 03:08 PM

I have added alert function in browser.js and when I log into PDA interface it didn't fire, so I think PDA interface is preinitialized by pdmweb.exe...

Depending on previous screenshots SDM doesn't detect mobile browser on my and colegue's phones, so I want to take over the interface selection.